Silastic metacarpophalangeal joint replacement has been used successfully to treat patients with inflammatory arthritis, particularly rheumatoid arthritis of the hand, for many years. Initially, patients can expect satisfactory relief of pain, improved alignment, movement between 30° to 60° of active flexion, and, as a consequence, improved function. The implants themselves can survive in situ for many years with a published overall survival rate of greater than 60% at 15 years or more. There are, however, a number of complications, these complications and their management are discussed further.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The natural history of the rheumatoid metacarpophalangeal joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1972; 54B: 687-697
- Rheumatoid deformities at the metacarpophalangeal joint of the fingers.J Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49A: 31
- Flexible implant resection arthroplasty.Hand. 1972; 4: 119-134
- Metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty.J Hand Surg. 1984; 9: 300-302
- Metacarpophalangeal joint implant arthroplasty with a silastic spacer.J Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66A: 365-370
- Arthroplasty of the metacarpophalangeal joints with use of silicone-rubber implants in patients who have rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1993; 75A: 3-12
- A prospective randomized comparison of Sutter and Swanson silastic spacers.J Hand Surg. 1998; 23B: 574-577
- Metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1999; 119: 190-194
- Silastic arthroplasty in rheumatoid MCP-joints.Acta Orthop Scand. 1986; 57: 138-140
- Silastic arthroplasty in rheumatoid MCP-joints. 60 joints followed for 7 years.Acta Orthop Scand. 1994; 65: 430-431
- Swanson metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Clin Orthop. 1997; 342: 11-15
- Silastic metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Clin Orthop. 1997; 342: 16-21
- Long-term follow-up of Swanson’s silastic arthroplasty of the metacarpophalangeal joints in rheumatoid arthritis.J Hand Surg. 1993; 18B: 81-91
- Review and analysis of silicone-rubber metacarpophalangeal implants.J Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 483-487
- Silastic arthroplasty of the metacarpophalangeal joints in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 484-489
- Use of grommets for flexible implant resection arthroplasty of the metacarpophalangeal joint.Clin Orthop. 1997; 342: 22-33
- The effect of the additional use of grommets in silicone implant arthroplasty of the metacarpophalangeal joints.J Hand Surg. 1999; 24B: 561-564
- A Prospective outcomes study of Swanson metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty for the rheumatoid hand.J Hand Surg. 2004; 29A: 646-653
- Metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 2003; 85A: 1869-1878
- Seventeen-year survivorship analysis of silastic metacarpophalangeal joint replacement.J Bone Joint Surg. 2004; 86B: 1002-1006
- Crossed intrinsic transfer.J Hand Surg. 1989; 14A: 963-971
- The value of crossed intrinsic transfer after metacarpophalangeal silastic arthroplasty.J Hand Surg. 2001; 26B: 565-567
Delaney R, Trail IA, Nuttall D. A comparative study of outcome between the Neuflex and Swanson metacarpophalangeal joint replacements. J Hand Surg (in press).
© 2005 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.