Cuff-tear arthropathy is a progressive and often disabling pathologic process affecting the shoulder. With a growing elderly population, the incidence is increasing. Initial treatment is conservative; however, when conservative treatment fails then surgery is indicated. To date, the best results for the surgical treatment of cuff-tear arthropathy appear to be for patients treated with hemiarthroplasty. This report reviews our use of hemiarthroplasty with extended-coverage humeral head prosthesis in the surgical management of cuff-tear arthropathy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Shoulder. Thomas Todd, Boston, MA1934
- Surgical arthroplasty options for rotator cuff tear arthropathy.Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2003; 4: 26-34
- The rotator cuff-deficient arthritic shoulder.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1998; 6: 337-348
- Bipolar shoulder arthroplasty.in: Friedman R. Arthroplasty of the shoulder. Thieme Medical Publishers, New York1994: 265-280
- Cuff-tear arthropathy.J Bone Joint Surg. 1983; 65A: 1232-1244
- Rotator cuff tear arthropathy.in: Warner J. Iannotti J. Gerber C. Complex and revision problems in shoulder surgery. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia1997: 303-318
- Tuberoplasty.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002; 11: 136-142
- Glenohumeral arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61A: 668-677
- Rotator cuff arthropathy.J Bone Joint Surg. 1999; 81A: 1312-1324
- Hemiarthroplasty of the shoulder for rotator cuff arthropathy.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1997; 6: 18-23
- Prosthetic replacement of the shoulder for the treatment of defects in the rotator cuff and the surface of the glenohumeral joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1993; 75A: 485-491
- Hemiarthroplasty in rotator cuff-deficient shoulders.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1996; 5: 362-367
© 2005 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.