Tumors of the brachial plexus frequently are not readily apparent and may masquerade as proximal or distal neurologic lesions. Potential pitfalls in diagnosing occult plexal lesions are numerous. Findings of severe pain, proximal and multiple peripheral nerve abnormalities, masses, or an atypical response to management should lead to imaging and electrodiagnostic evaluation of the brachial plexus.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Die neurome eine klinische monographie. Schwabe, Basel1886
- Surgical pathology of the nervous system and its coverings. 3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, New York1999
- Superior pulmonary sulcus tumor.JAMA. 1932; 99: 1391-1396
- Outcomes in a consecutive series of III surgically treated plexal tumors.J Neurosurg. 2001; 96: 51-60
- Tumors of the brachial plexus.Neurosurgery. 1987; 21: 439-453
- Schwannomas of the brachial plexus—diagnostic and surgical problems.Zentrabl Neurochir. 2001; 62: 93-97
- MR imaging of the treated brachial plexus.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 167: 225-229
- Brachial plexopathy due to chondrolipoangioma.J Neurosurg. 2002; 97: 1226-1228
- MR imaging of nontraumatic brachial plexopathies.Radiographics. 2000; 20: 1023-1032
- Extracranial and extraspinal nerve sheath tumors.Neuroradiology. 1988; 30: 47-53
- Schwannoma of the extremities.Eur J Nucl Med. 2001; 28: 1541-1551
- Recurrent schwannoma.Neuroimages. 2002; 59: 1240
- Brachial plexus neoplastic lesions assessed by conduction study of medial antebrachial cutaneous nerve.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 1068-1070
- Solitary benign peripheral nerve tumors. Review of 32 years experience.J Bone Joint Surg. 1995; 77B: 497-500
- Surgical treatment of superior sulcus tumors with spinal and brachial plexus involvement.J Neurosurg. 2002; 97: 301-309
© 2004 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.