Fractures of the olecranon process are common in adults and reflect a spectrum of injuries to the elbow. This article provides an overview of the management for olecranon fractures, including a historic perspective, relevant anatomy, mechanism of injury, classification, evaluation, treatment, and reported outcome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- WB Saunders, Philadelphia2000: 365-379 The elbow and its disorders.
- A technique for longitudinal pin fixation of certain fractures of the ulna and of the femur.J Bone Joint Surg. 1939; 21: 619
- The treatment of fractures of the olecranon by longitudinal screw or nail fixation.Ann Surg. 1942; 116: 293
- Mosby, St. Louis1975: 169 Fractures of the adult elbow; American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons instructional course lectures.
- Olecranon fractures.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2000; 8: 266-275
- Treatment of nonunion of olecranon fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 1994; 76B: 627-635
- The mechanisms of elbow fractures.Injury. 1995; 26: 163-168
- Fracture of the olecranon process of the ulna.JAMA. 1947; 135: 1
- Partial olecranon excision.J Hand Surg. 2003; 28A: 117-122
- Surgical treatment of displaced olecranon fractures by tension band wiring technique.Clin Orthop. 1987; 224: 192-204
- Comminuted fractures of the olecranon.J Bone Joint Surg. 2001; 83B: 805-808
- K-wire position in tension band wiring of the olecranon—a comparison of two techniques.Injury. 2000; 31: 427-431
- Cyclic loading of olecranon fracture fixation constructs.J Bone Joint Surg. 2003; 85A: 831-837
- Displaced olecranon fractures in adults.Clin Orthop. 1987; 224: 215-223
- Fractures of the olecranon.J South Orthop Assoc. 1995; 4: 283-289
- Comminuted fractures of the proximal radius and ulna.Clin Orthop. 1993; 292: 37-47
- Transolecranon fracture-dislocation of the elbow.J Orthop Trauma. 1997; 11: 545-550
- Operative treatment of olecranon fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63A: 718-721
© 2004 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.