This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This report analyzes a rare case of flexor tenosynovitis caused by Mycobacterium malmoense. A synovectomy was carried out on the index finger (no other finger was afflicted) of a 66-year-old farmer, followed by antibiotic therapy with ethambutol, rifampin, and clarithromycin. Because of strong side effects, the treatment with ethambutol and rifampicin had to be discontinued after 4 months. There was no recurrence after 14 months, and the patient's finger had a full range of motion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tuberculous dactylitis in the adult.Am J Rheumatol. 1971; 112: 460
- Tuberculosis of the wrist with a note on chemotherapy.Clin Orthop. 1972; 83: 73-83
- 1. Infections caused by opportunist mycobacteria: a review.J Royal Society Medicine. 1986; 79: 226-229
- Infections of the synovial tissue by mycobacteria other than Mycobacterium tuberculosis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49A: 1521-1530
- Mycobacterium malmoense sp. nov..Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1977; 27: 241-246
- Disseminated Mycobacterium malmoense infection.BMJ. 1984; 289: 734
- Difficulty with Mycobacterium malmoense.Lancet. 1989; : 510-511
- Mycobacterium malmoense infection in Scotland: an increasing problem.Thorax. 1987; 42: 593-595
- Mycobacterium malmoense in the northeast of England.Tubercle. 1985; 66: 211-217
- Mycobacterium malmoense: report of a case in Switzerland.Respiration. 1987; 51: 285-291
- Mycobacterium malmoense: Infektion der Beugesehnenscheide.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 1992; 24: 210-214
- A Mycobacterium malmoense infection of the hand presenting as carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg. 1988; 13B: 328-330
- Pulmonary disease caused by Mycobacterium malmoense.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1987; 135: 1375-1378
- Pulmonary infection with Mycobacterium malmoense: a review of treatment and response.Tubercle. 1985; 66: 197-203
- Infections.in: Green DP Operative hand surgery. 3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, New York1993: 1036-1037
Accepted: October 1, 1996
Received: May 3, 1996
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commerical party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1997 The American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.