This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The distally based dorsal hand flap on the recurrent cutaneous branch was dissected as a reverse flap based on the connection between the dorsal branch of the proper digital artery and the terminal branches of the dorsal metacarpal artery at the level of the proximal phalanx. The reverse dorsal metacarpal artery flap dissected by this new approach was applied in five cases for coverage of some areas in the fingers. Two flaps were raised on the second and three on the third intermetacarpal space. All flaps survived completely. The donor areas were closed by direct approximation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The reverse dorsal metacarpal flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 24-27
- Dorsal metacarpal reverse flaps: anatomical basis and clinical applications.J Hand Surg. 1991; 16B: 400-405
- Direct and reverse dorsal metacarpal flaps.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 123-130
- The versatile metacarpal and reverse metacarpal artery flaps in hand surgery.Ann Plast Surg. 1991; 29: 523-531
- The distally-based dorsal hand flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 28-39
- A new method of restoring sensibility to the thumb.J Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45B: 496-502
- A new island flap transfer from the dorsum of the index to the thumb.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979; 63: 344-359
- Dorsal metacarpal flaps.Br J Plast Surg. 1987; 40: 333-341
- First dorsal metacarpal artery flap cover for extensive pulp defects in the normal length thumb.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 544-546
- The first dorsal metacarpal artery neurovascular island flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1988; 13B: 136-145
- The second dorsal metacarpal neurovascular island flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 17-23
- Innervated reverse digital artery flap through bilateral neurrhaphy for pulp defects.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 483-488
Accepted: September 15, 1996
Received: September 6, 1994
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commerical party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1997 The American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.