This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A retrospective study was performed to analyze the results of elbow synovectomy, radial head excision, and anterior capsular release in 12 elbows in 11 patients with radiographic stage III inflammatory arthritis. The follow-up period averaged 6.1 years. Average flexion arc improved from 93° (range, 80°–110°) to 116° (range, 65°–140°), with flexion contracture improving 13°. Total arc of forearm rotation increased from 95° to 145°. Ewald scores improved from an average of 37 to 84 points. Pain was eliminated or improved in all cases; functional improvement was noted in all patients. Serial postoperative radiographs showed no significant disease progression over time. These results suggest that combined synovectomy, radial head excision, and anterior capsular release effectively relieves pain and improves function in stage III inflammatory arthritis of the elbow.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow: the results of synovectomy.J Bone Joint Surg. 1974; 56B: 427-437
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis report of five cases.J Bone Joint Surg. 1970; 52A: 371-375
- Synovectomy of the elbow.in: Hijmans W Paul WD Herschel H Early synovectomy in rheumatoid arthritis. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam1969: 117-118
- Minimum ten-year follow-up study for elbow synovectomy for rheumatoid arthritis.Orthop Trans. 1990; 14: 255
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis.Acta Orthop Scand. 1975; 46: 744-750
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67A: 16-20
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis: the place of excision of the head of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61B: 69-73
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1982; 64A: 1074-1078
- Synovectomy and debridement of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 652-662
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis.Acta Orthop Scand. 1983; 54: 935-937
- Silastic prosthetic replacement for the radial head.J Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63A: 454-458
- Long-term effects of excision of the radial head in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66B: 109-113
- Radical synovectomy with muscle release for the rheumatoid elbow.Acta Orthop Scand. 1986; 57: 71-73
- Excision of the head of the radius in rheumatoid arthritis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58B: 485-487
- Synovectomy of the elbow in rheumatoid arthritis: long-term results.J Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71B: 664-666
- Capitello-condylar total elbow arthroplasty for rheumatoid arthritis.J Arthroplasty. 1990; 5: S83-S88
- Capitellocondylar total elbow replacement in rheumatoid arthritis. Long-term results.J Bone Joint Surg. 1993; 75A: 498-507
- Complications of total elbow arthroplasty.Clin Orthop. 1982; 170: 204-212
- Long-term follow-up study: semiconstrained elbow prosthesis.Orthopedics. 1981; 4: 151-155
- Evaluation of the Pritchard total elbow arthroplasty.Orthopedics. 1982; 5: 713-719
- Capitellocondylar total elbow arthroplasty.Clin Orthop. 1987; 223: 175-180
- Development and clinical analysis of a new semiconstrained total elbow prosthesis.in: Inglis AE Upper extremity joint replacement. CV Mosby, St. Louis1982
- Capitellocondylar total elbow replacement: a long-term follow-up study.J Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71A: 217-222
- Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritis.J Am Med Assoc. 1949; 140: 659-662
- Textbook of operative surgery.3rd ed. Paul CB, Adam and Charles Black, London1911
- Total elbow replacement.Orthop Clin North Am. 1975; 6: 685-696
- The present status of synovectomy.Am J Surg. 1929; 6: 807-810
- Elbow flexion contractures: treatment by anterior release and continuous passive motion.J Hand Surg. 1988; 13B: 286-287
- The lateral approach for operative release of post-traumatic contracture of the elbow.J Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72A: 1353-1358
- Post-traumatic contracture of the elbow: operative treatment, including distraction arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72A: 601-618
- Correction of post-traumatic flexion contracture of the elbow by anterior capsulotomy.J Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67A: 1160-1164
Accepted: August 23, 1996
Received: March 6, 1995
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1997 The American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.