This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The dorsoulnar tubercle of the trapezium may fracture, and this fracture may be missed without precise physical examination and correct radiographic studies. If there is persistent localized pain and tenderness in this region and the results of routine wrist radiographic examination are normal, a bone scan should be performed. If there is localized uptake in the area of the trapezium, additional radiographic studies may be necessary to confirm or exclude this fracture. Four patients with this previously unreported fracture and a method for its detection are presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the carpal bones.Acta Orthop Scand. 1966; 37: 276-287
- Management of fractures of the greater multangular.J Bone Joint Surg. 1960; 42A: 1111-1118
- Fractures of the trapezium: a report on three cases.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10B: 227-230
- Carpal injuries.in: Rockwood CA Green DP Fractures. Lippincott, Philadelphia1975: 422-727
- Fractures and dislocations of the carpus.Surg Clin North Am. 1972; 52: 1513
- Missed fractures of the greater multangular.J Bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 1525
- JP Schaeffer Morris' human anatomy. A complete systematic treatise. 11th ed. Blakiston, New York1953
- The first carpometacarpal joint.in: Tubiana R The hand. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1981: 169-183
- Trapezial ridge fractures.J Hand Surg. 1981; 6: 561-564
- The wrist.in: Churchill Livingston, New York1985: 155-158
Accepted: October 23, 1987
Received: August 7, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.