This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Fractures of the hook of the hamate frequently fail to unite. In symptomatic nonunion, surgical excision of the hook has provided relief of pain in the few reported cases. In a survey of surgeons, 133 cases of excision of the hook to treat nonunion were reviewed retrospectively. The complication rate associated with excision is three percent. These complications, such as injury to the ulnar nerve or the superficial palmar arch and median nerve paresthesias secondary to retraction are due more to the surgical exposure than the actual excision.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the hook of the hamate by a golf swing.Orthop Clin North Am. 1972; 83: 91-94
- Bilateral fractures of the hook of the hamate.J Trauma. 1985; 25: 174-175
- Ununited fractures of the hook of the hamate.J Bone Joint Surg. 1977; 59A: 583-588
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate presenting as carpal tunnel syndrome.Hand. 1978; 10: 181-183
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate: a diagnosis easily missed.J Trauma. 1974; 14: 612-616
- (New Orleans, Louisiana, January 18)1982 AAOS Meeting.in: 1982
- Kaplan's functional and surgical anatomy of the hand.3rd ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1984
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate in athletes.J Bone Joint Surg. 1977; 59A: 575-582
- Fractures of the hook of the hamate—a failure of clinical diagnosis.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10A: 101-104
- Ulnar nerve compression syndromes at and below the wrist.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51A: 1095-1103
- Finger tendon rupture secondary to fracture of the hamate.Acta Orthop Scand. 1985; 56: 96-97
- Rupture of the flexor tendons in the carpal tunnel (nonrheumatoid) with specific reference to fracture of the hook of the hamate.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51A: 798-799
- Rupture of the flexor pro-fundus tendon of the ring finger secondary to ancient fracture of the hook of the hamate: review of the literature and report of two cases.J Bone Joint Surg. 1974; 56A: 1076-1078
- Rupture of flexor tendon associated with previous fracture of hook of the hamate.Hand. 1983; 15: 73-76
- Fractures of the hook of the hamate: radiographic signs.Radiology. 1985; 154: 49-53
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate: report of six cases and the suitability of computerized tomography.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8A: 393-398
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate: a case report.J Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 276-277
- The value of carpal tunnel trispiral tomography in the diagnosis of fracture of the hook of the hamate.Bull Hosp J Dis Orthop Inst. 1985; 45: 74-79
- Fracture of the hook of the hamate.Am J Roentgenol. 1979; 133: 900-903
- Fractures of the hook of the hamate.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10B: 205-210
Accepted: November 6, 1987
Received: June 30, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.