This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Numerous fixation techniques have been described to obtain successful proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint arthrodesis. By use of the Herbert screw for compression, 50 (98%) out of 51 PIP joints were fused within 6 weeks. Biomechanically, PIP joint arthrodeses using the Herbert screw in cadaver joints were comparable to tension band arthrodeses evaluated by three-point bending. Herbert screw arthrodesis of the PIP joint achieves a high fusion rate with minimal external protection provided certain technical details are followed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical treatment of the swan-neck deformity in rheumatoid arthritis.Surg Clin North Am. 1975; 6: 733-752
- Surgical treatment of the boutonniere deformity in rheumatoid arthritis.Surg Clin North Am. 1975; 6: 753-763
- Arthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb.J Bone Joint Surg. 1968; 50A: 1 171-1 177
- Development of useful function in the severely paralyzed hand.J Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 933-952
- Mallet finger.J Bone Joint Surg. 1962; 44A: 1061-1068
- Intramedullary fixation in fractures of the hand and fingers.J Bone Joint Surg. 1953; 35A: 5-16
- Tendon transfers and arthrodeses in combined median and ulnar nerve paralysis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1949; 31A: 225-234
- Proximal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis in rheumatoid arthritis.Acta Orthop Scand. 1966; 37: 301-310
- (326–7)Bunnell's surgery of the hand.Lippincott, Philadelphia1970
- Small-joint arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11A: 678-682
- Intraosseous wiring of the skeleton.J Hand Surg. 1978; 3A: 427-434
- The fusion of the interphalangeal joints.Can J Surg. 1964; 7: 433-437
- Compression-arthrodesis of finger joints using Kirschner wires and cerclage.Hand. 1982; 14: 149-152
- Experience of a hand surgery service.Br J Plast Surg. 1956; 9: 23
- Technique for digital arthrodesis.Acta Chir Scand. 1959; 118: 331-338
- A technique for arthrodesis of finger joints.J Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55A: 1534-1536
- The tenon method of small joint arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11A: 567-569
- A new method of intramedullary peg arthrodesis for finger joints.Chir Plastica (Berl). 1974; 2: 169-174
- (193–4)Small fragment set manual-technique recommended by the ASIF group.Springer-Verlag, Berlin1974
- Compression osteosynthesis in the hand using a small nail-plate.J Bone Joint Surg. 1977; 59A: 464-466
- AO arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1983; 9A: 932-935
- A method of accelerating fusion of small joints.J Bone Joint Surg. 1968; 50A: 1269
- A compression arthrodesis device for small joints of the hands.Hand. 1972; 4: 62-64
- Arthrodesis of finger joints by dynamic external compression.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 59: 882-885
- Compression arthrodesis of finger joints.Clin Orthop. 1979; 145: 193-198
- Compression arthrodesis of the thumb.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8A: 207-210
- Dynamic compression for small bone arthrodesis.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10A: 340-343
- Surgical stabilization of the skeleton of the hand.Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins. 1977; : 42-59
- Tension-band arthrodesis in the finger joints.J Hand Surg. 1980; 5: 269-271
- Tension band arthrodesis of small joints.Contemp Orthop. 1984; 8: 59-62
- Small joint fusions of the hand using the Herbert bone screw.J Hand Surg. 1984; 9B: 167-168
Accepted: November 25, 1987
Received: August 17, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.