This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Eighteen patients with industrial injuries to the dorsum of the proximal interphalangeal joint involving articular destruction and segmental bone loss were treated by primary bone grafting and plating. Rigid arthrodesis and preservation of functional length were obtained in 25 fingers. Of the 25 fingers, 23 fused primarily. Because of technical error, one reconstruction showed delayed consolidation and required secondary grafting before uniting; one arthrodesis became infected and healed by second intention. Additional procedures were flexor tendon repair, nerve grafting, and local or distant flap coverage. The procedure is considered valid for the treatment of extensive skeletal damage to the proximal interphalangeal joint area.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical stabilization of the skeleton of the hand.Hans Huber Publishers, Bern, Switzerland1977
- Dynamic traction and early passive movement for fractures of the proximal interphalangeal joint.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11: 850-858
- Small joint arthrodesis in hand reconstruction.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51A: 1219-1221
- Proximal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis in rheumatoid arthritis.Acta Orthop Scand. 1966; 37: 301-310
- Small joint arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11: 678-682
- Surgery of the hand.JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1948
- Arthrodesis of finger joints.Surg Clin North Am. 1960; 40: 465-470
- A technique for arthrodesis of finger joints.J Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55A: 1534-1536
- The tenon method of small joint arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11: 567-569
- Concave-convex arthrodesis in joints of the hand.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1970; 46: 368-371
- A new method of intramedullary peg arthrodesis for finger joints.Chirurgia Plastica. 1974; 2: 169-174
- Stabilization of the first metacarpophalangeal and terminal joints of the thumb.Hand. 1977; 9: 242-248
- Traitement des plaies fraiches de la main.in: Pannike A Osteosynthese in der Handchirurgie. Springer Verlag, Berlin1972: 14
- Intraosseous wiring of the digital skeleton.J Hand Surg. 1978; 3: 427-435
- Arthrodesis of finger joints by dynamic external compression using dorso-ventral Kirschner wires and rubber bands.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 59: 882-885
- A compression arthrodesis device for small joint of the hand.Hand. 1972; 4: 62-64
- Dynamic compression for small bone arthrodesis.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10: 340-343
- Manual der Osteosynthese.Springer Verlag, Berlin1977
- Tension-band arthrodesis in the finger joints.J Hand Surg. 1980; 5: 269-271
- Small fragment set manual.Springer Verlag, Berlin1974
- Arthrodesen der Daumen-und Langfingergelenke. Handchirurgie Mikrochirurgie.Plastische Chirurgie. 1981; 13: 221-230
- AO arthrodesis in the hand.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 932-935
Accepted: November 4, 1987
Received: July 22, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.