This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A 41-year-old man had typical symptoms and signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. At operation there were multiple large rice bodies along the flexor tendons with a great deal of adherent synovitis involving the index finger. Widespread surgical debridement with excision of involved synovium was done. Mycobacterium tuberculosis was cultured from the tenosynovium excised.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tuberculosis of the hand.Hand. 1978; 10: 285-291
- Tuberculosis of the hand and wrist.J Hand Surg. 1984; 9: 391-398
- Tuberculous tenosynovitis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1957; 39B: 91-101
- Carpal tunnel syndrome secondary to tuberculosis.Arch Neurol. 1964; 10: 426-429
- Carpal tunnel syndrome as the initial manifestation of tuberculosis.Am J Med. 1976; 60: 583-586
- Bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome due to tuberculosis tenosynovitis: a case report.J Rheumatol. 1984; 11: 721-722
- Tuberculosis presenting as carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10: 242-245
- Tuberculous tenosynovitis of the hand.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1923; 37: 635-647
- Tuberculosis of the wrist and hand.Br J Surg. 1967; 54: 211-218
- Treatment of tuberculous sinuses and abscesses of osteoarticular origin.J Bone Joint Surg. 1957; 39B: 326-333
- The carpal tunnel syndrome. Seventeen years experience in diagnosis and treatment of 654 hands.J Bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 211-228
- The carpal tunnel syndrome. Clinical evaluation of 598 cases.Clin Orthop. 1972; 83: 29-40
- Median nerve neuropathy at the wrist.Clin Orthop. 1972; 83: 48-54
- Carpal Tunnel syndrome: report of 430 operations.South Med J. 1977; 70: 325-328
Accepted: November 13, 1987
Received: October 19, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.