This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Bowstringing is a rare complication of trigger finger release caused by excessive loss of the proximal pulleys. As the flexor tendon moves away from the center of rotation of the metacarpophalangeal joint, the flexion moment arm is increased. Thus the flexors gain an increased mechanical advantage over the extensors resulting in limited digital extension. We describe a case of severe bowstringing progressing over 9 years resulting in pain, altered digital function, and loss of full extension.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bunnel's surgery of the hand.5th ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1970
- Stenosing tenosynovitis and its possible relation to the carpal tunnel syndrome.Surg Clin North Am. 1960; 40: 531-540
- Trigger-finger in adults and children.J Bone Joint Surg. 1954; 36A: 1200-1218
- Green D Operative hand surgery. Churchill Livingstone, New York1982: 1510-1513
- Hand surgery.3rd ed. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1981
- The etiology of trigger finger. Explained on the basis of intratendinous architecture.Hand. 1972; 4: 257-260
- Treatment of trigger fingers.Acta Orthop Scand. 1970; 41: 428-432
- Stenosing tenovaginitis.Surg Clin North Am. 1953; 33: 1317-1347
- Tenosynovitis of the hand and the wrist: carpal tunnel syndrome deQuervain's disease trigger digit.Clin Orthop. 1959; 13: 164-181
- The practice of hand surgery.CV Mosby, St. Louis1981
- The hand.2nd ed. The CV Mosby Co., St. Louis1982
- Reduction flexor tenoplasty. Treatment of stenosing flexor tenosynovitis distal to the first pulley.J Hand Surg. 1981; 6: 543-544
- Surgical treatment of trigger-finger by a subcutaneous method.J Bone Joint Surg. 1958; 40A: 743-795
- The finger flexor tendon sheath and pulleys: anatomy and reconstruction.in: Symposium on tendon surgery in the hand, AAOS. The CV Mosby Co., St. Louis1975: 81-87
- Reconstruction of pulleys employing extensor retinaculum.J Hand Surg. 1979; 4: 461-464
- (30–60)Clinical mechanics of the hand.The CV Mosby Co., St. Louis1985
- Tendon and pulleys at the metacarpophalangeal joint of a finger.J Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 779-784
Accepted: October 23, 1987
Received: February 16, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.