This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A two-stage tendon-grafting technique was used to reconstruct 130 fingers in 101 patients between 1973 and 1984. Eighty-nine patients with 117 fingers that had undergone operation were evaluated 6 months or longer after stage II surgery. Sixty-five percent of the patients were in the Boyes salvage group before operation. Overall, 54% had good or excellent results by the total active motion (TAM) as a percentage of total passive motion (TPM) method, although only 19% had final TAM of greater than 180 degrees. Complications included infection in 15%, rupture in 4%, amputation in 4%, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy in 1% of the patients. Sixteen percent of the patients required tenolysis after stage II surgery. Factors associated with a poor result included zone I or II injury and patients who were less than 10 years of age. Factors associated with a better result included zone IV or V injury and all postoperative therapy under the direct supervision of the treating surgeon.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Two-stage flexor-tendon reconstruction: ten-year experience.J Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68A: 752-763
- An evaluation of the two-stage flexor tendon reconstruction technique.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 263-267
- A review of 100 flexor tendon reconstructions with prosthesis.Hand. 1977; 9: 226-231
- Staged flexor tendon reconstruction.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 789-793
- Staged flexor tendon reconstruction using the method of Hunter.Clin Orthop. 1982; 171: 164-171
- Flexor-tendon reconstruction is severely damaged hands: a two-stage procedure using a silicone-Dacron reinforced gliding prosthesis prior to tendon grafting.J Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 829-858
- Flexor profundus injuries treated with delayed two-staged tendon grafting.J Hand Surg. 1980; 5: 74-78
- Disappointing outcomes in staged flexor tendon grafting for isolated profundus loss.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11B: 231-233
- Evaluation of the two-stage flexor-tendon reconstruction in severely damaged digits.J Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 786-791
- Vascularized tendon grafting.in: Proceedings of the Third Congress of the International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand, Tokyo, November 3–81986: 150
- Two-stage tenoplasty in injury of the flexor tendons of the hand.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51A: 21-32
- Report of the committee on tendon injuries.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 794-798
- Flexor-tendon grafts in the fingers and thumb: an evaluation of end results.J Bone Joint Surg. 1950; 32A: 489-499
- Flexor-tendon grafts in the fingers and thumb: a study of factors influencing results in 1000 cases.J Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 1332-1342
- Management of flexor tendon lacerations in Zone 2 using controlled passive motion postoperatively.in: Hunter JM Schneider LH Mackin E Bell J Rehabilitation of the hand. CV Mosby, St. Louis1978: 219-224
- Primary flexor tendon repair followed by immediate controlled mobilization.J Hand Surg. 1977; 2: 441-451
- Digital function following flexor tendon repair in Zone II: a comparison of immobilization and controlled passive motion techniques.J Hand Surg. 1980; 5: 537-543
- Tendon implants: primary and secondary usage.Orthop Clin North Am. 1977; 8: 473-489
- Rate and extent of functional recovery after flexor tendon grafting with and without silicone rod preparation.J Hand Surg. 1976; 1: 174-180
Accepted: November 3, 1987
Received: May 7, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.