This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Although most attention to the harmful effects of finger sucking by infants has been on the potential dental deformities, finger deformities also occur. The three cases presented in this article describe radial rotation of the index finger as a result of persistent finger sucking. In the majority of cases rotational deformities spontaneously resolve once finger sucking ceases. In a few cases, particularly when the habit is unduly prolonged, deformities may persist and cause functional impairment. In these patients surgical intervention is indicated. In our cases the rotational digital deformities were treated successfully by rotational osteotomy of either the metacarpal or the proximal phalanx.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thumb-and finger-sucking.J Pediatr. 1948; 32: 99-101
- Thumb-sucking [Editorial].J Pediatr. 1951; 39: 515-516
- Thumb-sucking and the oral structures.J Pediatr. 1951; 39: 424-430
- Thumb-and finger-sucking: a study of 2, 650 infants and children.J Pediatr. 1958; 52: 566-572
- Thumb and finger sucking in childhood.Am J Dis Child. 1939; 58: 1290-1300
- (175)Orthopaedics in infancy and childhood.Butterworths, London1971
- Digital deformities and dental malocclusion due to finger sucking.Br J Plast Surg. 1984; 37: 445-452
Accepted: November 13, 1987
Received: September 14, 1987
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 1988 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.