This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A case report of a cutaneous larva migrans caused by the nematode, Gnathostoma spinigerum, in which the worm was visualized at surgery and successfully removed, is presented. To the best of our knowledge, this is the second case of documented subcutaneous gnathostomiasis in the Western Hemisphere and the first in the upper extremity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gnathostomiasis in Oneida County.N Y State J Med. 1981; 81: 409-410
- G. spinigerum: an unusual cause of ocular nematodiasis in the western hemisphere.Am J Opthalmol. 1981; 72: 185-190
- Urinary gnathostomiasis.JAMA. 1984; 251: 255-256
- Gnathostoma spinigerum.Proc Zool Soc Lond. 1836; 47: 123-126
- On the genus gnathostoma and human gnathostomiasis, with special reference to Japan.Exp Parasitol. 1960; 9: 338-370
- The pig nematode, G. hispidum: as a human parasite.Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1924; 18: 23-26
- Preliminary report of a study on the life cycle of Gnathostoma spinigerum.J Parasitol. 1933; 19: 287-292
- Further report of a study on the life cycle of Gnathostoma spinigerum.J Parasitol. 1936; 22: 180-186
- Further observations on the experimental transmission of Gnathostoma spinigerum.Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1968; 62: 88-94
- Eosinophilic myeloencephalitis caused by Gnathostoma spinigerum.J Neurol Sci. 1970; 10: 419-434
- Pulmonary gnathostomiasis.Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1955; 49: 121-122
- Human urinary gnathostomiasis: case report from Thailand.Am J Trop Med. 1975; 24: 49-51
- Some helminths of raccoons in Georgia.J Parasitol. 1958; 44: 519
- Intracutaneous reaction in human gnathostomiasis.Jpn J Clin Exp Med. 1951; 28: 220-223
- An immunological study on gnathostomiasis.Acta Med. 1959; 29: 2802-2822
- Human gnathostomiasis in the Siam with reference to the method of prevention.J Parasitol. 1949; 35: 116-121
Accepted: April 17, 1985
Received: June 20, 1983
© 1986 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.