This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Lead intoxication from retained bullets is uncommon but potentially fatal. A 45-year-old man was shot in the left wrist with a .32-caliber rifle. He was first seen 16 months later with symptoms, signs, and laboratory values that were consistent with the diagnosis of plumbism. The factors leading to plumbism, its evaluation, and treatment are reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bullets, lead poisoning and thyrotoxicosis.Ann Intern Med. 1978; 89: 509-511
- Lead poisoning from a gunshot wound: Report of a case and review of the literature.Am J Med. 1979; 66: 509-514
- Lead poisoning from retained bullets, pathogenesis, diagnosis and management.Ann Surg. 1982; 195: 305-313
- Bullets, joints, and lead intoxication: A remarkable and instructive case.Arch Intern Med. 1976; 136: 939-941
- Acute lead intoxication from a bullet in an intervertebral disc space: A case report.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1981; 63: 1180-1182
- Lead intoxication eighteen months after a gunshot wound.CORR. 1984; 190: 199-203
- Etiologic de la collique de plomb.Union Med Can. 1867; 3: 89
- A case of probable lead-poisoning resulting fatally from a bullet lodged in the knee joint twelve years previously.Boston Med Surg J. 1875; 91: 472-473
- The solution of lead by synovial fluid.Clin Orthop. 1969; 64: 255-261
- Lead intoxication and traumatic arthritis of the hip secondary to retained bullet fragments: A case report.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1978; 60: 254-255
- Lead palsy resulting from fragmented bullet.Bull Los Angeles Neurol Soc. 1942; 7: 104-106
Accepted: November 11, 1985
Received: October 23, 1985
© 1986 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.