This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Ulnar collateral ligament ruptures of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb in children are usually associated with epiphyseal fractures of the proximal phalanx and, less frequently, cartilaginous fragments from the metacarpal. Radiographs are often normal. We describe an isolated ligamentous avulsion of the ulnar collateral ligament from the thumb metacarpal, without a bony or cartilaginous fragment, in a skeletally immature 12-year-old boy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rupture of the collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1955; 37: 443-448
- Gamekeeper's thumb.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1955; 37: 148-157
- “Gamekeeper's thumb.” Injuries of the Unar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint.Br J Sports Med. 1980; 14: 92-96
- Skier's thumb. Surgical treatment of recent injuries to the ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb's metacarpophalangeal joint.Am J Sports Med. 1981; 9: 171-177
- Complete avulsion of the ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.Clin Orthop. 1963; 29: 196-200
- Ulnar instability of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.J Hand Surg. 1985; 1013: 113-114
- Rockwood CA Wilkins KE King RE Fractures of the hand and wrist region in fractures in children. JB Lippincott Co, Philadelphia1984: 264-267
- Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1982: 365 Skeletal injury in the child.
- Gamekeeper's thumb.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1976; 58: 24-31
- The mechanism of acute ulnar instability of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.Hand. 1980; 12: 225-230
- Post-traumatic instability of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1977; 59: 14-21
- Displacement of the ruptured ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint at the thumb: A clinical and anatomical study.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1962; 44: 869-879
Accepted: December 17, 1985
Received: May 16, 1985
© 1986 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.