This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Twenty-three patients with ulnar ray deficiency were studied and the deformities described by combining Kummel’s and Swanson's classifications. An individualized, functionally oriented management program is recommended with early resection of the fibrocartilaginous remnant to prevent shortening, radial bowing, and possible malrotation. Rotational deformity can be corrected by wedge osteotomy, rotation osteotomy, or proximal radial ulnar synostosis. Improved motion at the elbow can be obtained by release of contractures or resection of the radial head. Wrist deformity may require resection of the ulnar remnant and a wedge osteotomy of the radius.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dysmelia.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 5lB: 399-414
- Congenital absence of the ulna.Canad J Surg. 1959; 2: 204-207
- Congenital deformities of the upper extremities. Ejnar Munksgaard Forlag, Copenhagen1950
- Absence congenitale du cubitus, du radius, du tibia, et du berone.Rev Orthop. 1924; 11: 21
- L'absence congenitale du cubitus; un neuveau cas.Paris Med. 1925; 55: 107
- Der Angeborene Defektder Ulna.Virchows Arch. 1954; 325: 211-216
- Management of moderate longtitudinal arrest of development of the ulna.Clin Orthop. 1970; 69: 199-202
- Congenital absence of the radius and of the ulna.J Bone Joint Surg. 1972; 54A: 907
- Congenital absence of the ulna.J Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43A: 614
- The role of the fibrous band in ulnar deficient extremities.J Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 816
- Contributions to orthopaedic surgery. Dornan, Philadelphia1898: 293
- Experimental causation of congenital skeletal defects and its significance in orthopaedic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg. 1952; 34B: 646
- A classification of limb malformation on the basis of embryologic failures.Inter-clin Info Bull NY U Postgrad Med Sch. 1966; 6: 3
- Congenital skeletal limb deficiencies.J Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43A: 1202
- Classification of limb malformations on the basis of embryo logical failures.Surg Clin N Am. 1968; 48: 1169-1179
- Bil. Misshildungen der Extremitaten durch Defeck Verwachsungand Uberzahl.Cassel. 1895;
- Congenital deformities of the hand and forearm. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia1974
- Absence congenital partielle du cubitus (une absence totale et une absence partielle).Rev Orthop. 1924; 11: 21
- Surgical amputation in children.J Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 1735
- Congenital absence of the ulna.Am J Surg. 1965; 109: 300
Received in revised form: January 31, 1977
Received: April 21, 1976
© 1977 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.