This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In 12 dissections the extensor digiti minimi tendons inserted into the abductor tubercle of the proximal phalanx. In eight of the 12, the tendons passed to the ulnar side of the abductor-adductor axis of the metacarpophalangeal joint. A separate tendon from the extensor digitorum communis to the little finger was found in only one dissection, with all others showing a connecting band which varies in its obliquity and thus in its adducting effect. To correct an abducted little finger, the ulnar portion of the extensor digiti minimi was transferred to the radial side of the little finger. Two methods were used: (1) the tendon was passed to the volar side of the metacarpophalangeal joint, if the joint could be hyper extended; if not, (2) a simple transfer to the radial collateral ligament was performed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Studies on the hand in ulnar nerve paralysis.Acta Orthopaed. Scand. 1966;
Riordan, D. C.: AAOS instructional course lectures, 16: 1959.
- Tendon transfers for nerve paralyses of the hand and wrist.in: Adams J.P. Current practices in orthopaedic surgery. ed. 2. The C. V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1964
- Tendon transplantation in median nerve and ulnar nerve paralyses.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1953; 35A: 312
- Surgery of the hand. ed. 2. J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia1949
- Metacarpophalangeal flexor replacement for intrinsic muscle paralysis.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55A: 1667
- Extensor apparatus of the digits.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1949; 31B: 749
- Structural and dynamic bases of hand surgery. J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia1968
- Kleine Hiffsmittel der neurologichen Diagnostik.Nervenarzt. 1930; 3: 594
- A sign of ulnar palsy.J. A. M. A. 1939; 112: 1688
- Functional and surgical anatomy of the hand. J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia1953
- A new intrinsic tendon transfer for the paralytic hand.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 730
Received in revised form: July 12, 1976
Received: February 9, 1976
© 1976 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.