This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In nine patients, one with bilateral findings, impending gangrene of the hand due to thrombosis of the palmar arch or digital arteries did not respond to current surgical methods or to common nonsurgical measures and was treated by intra-arterial Thrombolysin. The authors recommended diagnostic arteriography, direct surgical treatment, if indicated, and specific coagulation studies. Thrombolysin was given by perfusion at a rate of 100,000 U. per hour. Careful monitoring of the clotting process prevented any significant bleeding and excellent recovery occurred in eight hands and there was a good result in two.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thrombolysin therapy in acute main pulmonary thromboemboli.Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. 1971; 47: 283
- Review of clinical experience with clotlysing agents.Am. J. Cardiol. 1960; 6: 476
- Clinical pharmacology of various types of fibrinolytic enzyme preparations.Am. J. Cardiol. 1960; 6: 462
- Experience with fibrinolysin in peripheral vascular occlusive disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 1960; 6: 507
- Fibrinolytic agents in surgical practice.J. A. M. A. 1961; 175: 102
- The use of fibrinolytic agents in the treatment of arterial occlusion.Am. J. Surg. 1962; 103: 173
- Adjuncts to the surgical treatment of peripheral vascular disease.N. C. Med. J. 1966; 27: 330
- Popliteal artery thrombosis treated with streptokinase.Lancet. 1962; 2: 1081
- Treatment of arterial occlusion by streptokinase perfusion.Br. Med. J. 1963; 1: 1508
- Fibrinolytic mechanism and the development of thrombolytic therapy.Am. J. Med. 1962; 33: 738
- Streptokinase as a thrombolytic agent.Am. J. Cardiol. 1960; 6: 487
- The role of fibrinolysis in the treatment of arterial thrombosis: Experimental and clinical aspects.Ann. R. Coll. Surg. Engl. 1964; 34: 293
- Feasibility of adequate thrombolytic therapy with streptokinase in peripheral arterial occlusion. I. Clinical and arteriographic result.Br. Med. J. 1963; 1: 1499
- Surgical indications for the use of streptokinase.Behringwerk-Mitteillungen. 1964; 194: 44
- Thrombolytic therapy in arterial and venous thrombosis.Aust. Ann. Med. 1970; 19: 19
- Streptokinase as an adjunct to arterial surgery.Ann. Surg. 1973; 107: 779
- Treatment of deep vein thrombosis: A trial of heparin, streptokinase, and Arvin.Br. Med. J. 1969; 1: 806
- Treatment of deep vein thrombosis with intermittent streptokinase and plasminogen infusions.Lancet. 1975; 2: 674
Received: February 9, 1976
© 1976 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.