This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The examination of hands in tetraplegia, stroke, and cerebral palsy must include evaluation of the state of the ligaments, the muscles available for motors for tendon transfer, and, most important, the areas of sensibility. The test for two point discrimination is the most valuable in providing information regarding both exteroception and proprioception. Done properly, this test provides more useful information than any other used currently.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Studies on Bennett's fracture.Acta Chir. Scand. Suppl. 1954; : 193
- Development of feedback control prosthetic and orthotic devices, Suppl. 193, Stockholm, 1954.Advances in biomedical engineering. Vol. 2. Academic Press Inc., New York and London1972
- Receptors and sensory perception. Yale University Press, New Haven1955
- Diseases of the nervous system. ed. 5. Oxford University Press, New York and London1955
- Criticism and study of methods of examining sensibility in the hand.Neurology. 1962; 12: 8
- Surgical treatment for absent single hand grip and elbow extension in quadriplegia.J. Bone Joint. Surg. 1975; 57A: 196
- Medical physiology. ed. 12. Vol. 2. The C. V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1968
- Untersuchungen ueber den Muskelsinn.Gesammelte Abhandlungen von A. Goldscheider. Vol. 2. Barth, Leipzig1898
- Fingers were made before forks.Hand. 1972; 4: 201
- Joint-position sense after total hip replacement.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55A: 1016
- Muscle sense in man.Exp. Neurol. 1967; 18: 496
Received: March 17, 1976
© 1976 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.