Peripheral neuropathy can affect sensory, motor, or autonomic nerves and manifest with a variety of symptoms. Tuberculosis as a major infectious disease that often affects many organs of the body. However, primary involvement of peripheral nerves is unusual. Peripheral neuropathy in patients with tuberculosis often is associated with other comorbidities, such as immunocompromised states, diabetes mellitus, malnutrition, and some antitubercular medications. This report describes the rare finding of peripheral tubercular neuritis with caseating abscesses of right median and radial nerve in a healthy 24-year man.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tubercular neuritis: a new manifestation of an ancient disease.Australas Med J. 2011; 4: 674-676
- Role of innate cytokines in mycobacterial infection.Mucosal Immunol. 2011; 4: 252-260
- The tuberculous granuloma: an unsuccessful host defence mechanism providing a safety shelter for the bacteria?.Clin Dev Immunol. 2012; 2012: 1-14
- Peripheral nerve granuloma in a patient with tuberculosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2002; 73: 769-771
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced carpal tunnel syndrome: management and follow-up evaluation.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 575-579
- Tubercular neuritis: a rare sequel of a common disease. Indian.J Pathol Microbiol. 2014; 57: 68-71
- Tuberculosis affecting the median nerve.Kerala J Orthop. 2011; 24: 43-45
- Pulmonary tuberculosis with neuromyelitis optica: an uncommon association of a common disease.J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2012; 22: 527-528
- Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus: convergence of two epidemics.Lancet Infect Dis. 2009; 9: 737-746
- Changes to antiretroviral drug regimens during integrated TB-HIV treatment: results of the SAPiT trial.Antivir Ther. 2014; 19: 161-169
- Peripheral neuropathy in persons with tuberculosis.J Clin Tuberc Other Mycobact Dis. 2016; 2: 5-11
- Leprous neuropathy.in: Mendell J.R. Kissel J.T. Cornblath D.R. Diagnosis and Management of Peripheral Nerve Disorders. Oxford University Press, 2001: 551-564
- An ultrastructural study of blood vessels in peripheral nerves of leprosy patients: blood vessels in peripheral nerves.Nihon Rai Gakkai Zasshi. 1989; 58: 179-184
- Treatment of extrapulmonary TB and of TB in special situations.in: Treatment of Tuberculosis: Guidelines. 4th ed. Chapter 8. World Health Organization, 2010: 1-9
Published online: March 13, 2023
Accepted: February 1, 2023
Received: October 13, 2020
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly to this article.
© 2023 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.