It remains unclear whether time-to-surgery for distal radius fractures affects clinical, functional, or radiographic outcomes or health care costs/use. This systematic review investigated the outcomes of early versus delayed surgery for closed, isolated distal radius fractures in adult patients.
A comprehensive search of MEDLINE, Embase, and CINAHL databases was completed for all original case series, observational studies, and randomized controlled trials reporting clinical outcomes of both early and delayed surgically-treated distal radius fractures from database inception to July 01, 2022. A consistent threshold of two weeks was used to define early versus delayed treatment arms.
Nine studies, including 16 intervention arms and 1,189 patients (858 early, 331 delayed), were included. Mean age was 58 years (range, 33–76). At more than one year, the frequency-weighted mean Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand score was 4 in the early group (n = 208; range, 1–17) and 21 in the delayed group (n = 181; range, 4–27). Range of motion, grip strength, and radiographic outcomes were comparable. The pooled mean complication rate (7% vs 5%) and revision rate (3.6% vs 1%) were very low in both groups.
A delay in time-to-surgery greater than two weeks for distal radius fractures may be associated with inferior patient-reported outcomes. Early surgery was associated with improved long-term Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand scores. On the basis of the available evidence, range of motion, grip strength, and radiographic outcomes are similar. The complication and revision rates were very low in both groups and comparable.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epidemiology of distal radius fractures.Hand Clin. 2012; 28: 113-125
- Patient versus injury factors as predictors of pain and disability six months after a distal radius fracture.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 849-854
- Pain and disability reported in the year following a distal radius fracture: a cohort study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003; 4: 24
- Functional outcomes and cost estimation for extra-articular and simple intra-articular distal radius fractures treated with open reduction and internal fixation versus closed reduction and percutaneous Kirschner wire fixation.Can J Surg. 2013; 56: 378-384
- How should the treatment costs of distal radius fractures be measured?.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2017; 46: E54-E59
- The extended flexor carpi radialis approach for partially healed malaligned fractures of the distal radius.Injury. 2012; 43: 1204-1208
- The biology of fracture healing.Injury. 2011; 42: 551-555
- Is progressive early digit mobilization intervention beneficial for patients with external fixation of distal radius fracture? A pilot randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2013; 27: 983-993
- Preventing functional loss during immobilization after osteoporotic wrist fractures in elderly patients: a randomized clinical trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 287
- British Orthopaedic Association, Boast - The management of distal radial fractures.https://www.boa.ac.uk/static/eca9b368-6c1d-4a44-b98de7cfc9247273/5c46835b-7d0f-40c4-89112dd5beddcda7/boast%20-%20the%20management%20of%20distal%20radial%20fractures.pdfDate accessed: August 27, 2022
- Duration of wrist immobilization is associated with shoulder pain in patients with after wrist immobilization: an observational study.J Exerc Rehabil. 2018; 14: 694-698
- Repeated closed reduction attempts of distal radius fractures in the emergency department.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018; 138: 591-596
- Fractures of the distal radius in low-demand elderly patients: closed reduction of no value in 53 of 60 wrists.Acta Orthop Scand. 2003; 74: 98-100
- Loss of position after initial manipulation of distal radius fractures in elderly.Saudi J Sports Med. 2017; 17: 97
- Biomechanics and biology of plate fixation of distal radius fractures.Hand Clin. 2005; 21: 329-339
- Incorporating variations in the quality of individual randomized trials into meta-analysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 255-265
- Methodological index for non-randomized studies (minors): development and validation of a new instrument.ANZ J Surg. 2003; 73: 712-716
- Minimal clinically important difference of the disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand outcome measure (DASH) and its shortened version (QuickDASH).J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44: 30-39
- Volar plate fixation versus plaster immobilization in acceptably reduced extra-articular distal radial fractures: A multicenter randomized controlled Trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 787-796
- Patient rating of wrist pain and disability: a reliable and valid measurement tool.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 577-586
- Minimal clinically important differences of 3 patient-rated outcomes instruments.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 641-649
- Feasibility and reliability of open reduction internal fixation in delayed distal radius fracture management.J Hand Surg Glob Online. 2019; 1: 138-143
- Comparison of outcomes between partially healed and acute metaphyseally malaligned distal radial fracture treated by palmar locking plate fixation.J Orthop Sci. 2017; 22: 1049-1053
- Functional outcome and complications at 2.5 years following volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures.J Hand Microsurg. 2015; 7: 18-24
- Early palmar plate fixation of distal radius fractures may benefit patients aged 50 years or older: a randomized trial comparing 2 different treatment protocols.Acta Orthop. 2019; 90: 123-128
- Outcome of delayed primary internal fixation of distal radius fractures: a comparative study.Injury. 2014; 45: 960-964
- Comparison of functional outcome between early and delayed internal fixation using volar locking plate for distal radius fractures.J UOEH. 2015; 37: 111-119
- Does a delay in surgery for distal radial fractures affect patient outcome?.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2021; 46: 69-74
- Surgical fixation of fractures of the distal radius within 2 weeks reduces postoperative finger stiffness.J Hand Surg Eur. 2021; 46: 64-68
- Radiographic outcomes and complications of delayed fixation of distal radius fractures.Hand (N Y). 2022; 17: 748-753
- Wrist and Radius Injury Surgical Trial Group. An analysis of the impact of timing and technique on outcomes after surgery for distal radius fractures: the Wrist and Radius Injury Surgical Trial Collaborative Study.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021; 148: 1053-1062
- The shortened disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand questionnaire (QuickDASH): validity and reliability based on responses within the full-length DASH.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006; 7: 44
- Correlation of DASH and QuickDASH with measures of psychological distress.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 1499-1505
- Validation of the QuickDASH and DASH in patients with distal radius fractures through agreement analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1217-1222.e1
Published online: March 06, 2023
Accepted: December 14, 2022
Received: September 14, 2020
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
S.K. and J.P. contributed equally to this manuscript.
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly to this article.
© 2023 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.