Intramedullary headless compression screw fixation of proximal phalangeal fractures permits semirigid stabilization through a minimally invasive approach with negligible tendon disturbance, allowing early mobilization and rehabilitation. Antegrade insertion is preferred for basal fractures, but various concerns and technical difficulties have been identified with both intra- and transarticular instrumentation. We describe a technical tip to facilitate easier guidewire insertion and instrumentation with a screw via an intra-articular approach.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Range of motion following extensor tendon splitting vs. tendon sparing approaches for plate osteosynthesis of proximal phalangeal fractures - a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2020; 25: 462-468
- Minimally invasive fixation of fractures of the phalanges and metacarpals with intramedullary cannulated headless compression screws.J Hand Surg Am. 2015; 40: 692-700
- Intramedullary compression screw fixation of proximal phalangeal fractures: a systematic literature review.Hand (N Y). 2020; 17: 595-601
- Incidence of scaphotrapezial arthritis following volar percutaneous fixation of nondisplaced scaphoid waist fractures using a transtrapezial approach.J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36: 1753-1758
- Motion and morphology of the thumb metacarpophalangeal joint.J Hand Surg Am. 2003; 28: 753-757
- Mechanics of metacarpophalangeal joint extension.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 681.e1-681.e5
- Anatomy of the proximal interphalangeal joint.Hand Clin. 1994; 10: 169-178
- Experimental trial on surgical treatment for transverse fractures of the proximal phalanx: technique using intramedullary conical compression screw versus lateral compression plate.Rev Bras Ortop. 2015; 50: 509-514
- Treatment of proximal phalangeal fractures with an antegrade intramedullary screw: a cadaver study. J.Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016; 41: 683-687
- Use of intramedullary cannulated headless screws in the treatment of hand fractures–an anatomical study on long fingers.Rev Iberam Cir Mano. 2017; 45: 94-103
Published online: February 23, 2023
Accepted: December 23, 2022
Received: December 24, 2021
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly to this article.
© 2023 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.