Acute disruptions of the terminal extensor tendon are common and can result in significant dysfunction if not recognized and treated appropriately. This article provides a topical review of the contemporary literature concerning acute mallet finger injuries. It also proposes a modification to the Doyle classification to make it more encompassing and less prone to interobserver error.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Review of acute traumatic closed mallet finger injuries in adults.Arch Plast Surg. 2016; 43: 134-144
- The terminal tendon of the digital extensor mechanism: part 1, anatomic study.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29: 898-902
- Examination of the anatomic relationship of the proximal germinal matrix to the extensor tendon insertion.J Hand Surg Am. 2000; 25: 1114-1117
- The terminal tendon of the digital extensor mechanism: part II, kinematic study.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29: 903-908
- A biomechanical study of distal interphalangeal joint subluxation after mallet fracture injury.J Hand Surg Am. 2008; 33: 26-30
- The epidemiology of musculoskeletal tendinous and ligamentous injuries.Injury. 2008; 39: 1338-1344
- Epidemiologic study of the mallet finger deformity.J Hand Surg Am. 1988; 13: 334-338
- The incidence of acute traumatic tendon injuries in the hand and wrist: a 10-year population-based study.Clin Orthop Surg. 2014; 6: 196-202
- Current concepts: mallet finger.Hand (N Y). 2014; 9: 138-144
- Mallet finger: results of early versus delayed closed treatment.J Hand Surg Am. 1994; 19: 850-852
- Mallet fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 658-669
- Mallet finger.in: Tubiana R. Traite de chirurgie de la main. 3. Masson, 1986: 109-121
- Surgical and non-surgical management of mallet finger: a systematic review.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 146-163.e2
- Extensor tendon injury.in: Green D.P. Wolfe S.W. Green’s Operative Hand Surgery. 6. Elsevier/Churchill Livingstone, 2011: 159-188
- Extension block with Kirschner wire for fracture dislocation of the distal interphalangeal joint.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 1997; 1: 95-102
- Biology of tendon injury: healing, modelling and remodelling.J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2006; 6: 181-190
- Tendon healing: repair and regeneration.Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2012; 14: 47-71
- Matrix metabolism and healing in the flexor tendon. Experimental studies on rabbit tendon.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg Suppl. 1991; 23: 1-51
- Immobilization of the mallet finger. Effects on the extensor tendon.J Hand Surg Br. 1999; 24: 80-84
- Blinded, prospective, randomized clinical trial comparing volar, dorsal, and custom thermoplastic splinting in treatment of acute mallet finger.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 580-588
- A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing night splinting with no splinting after troeatment of mallet finger.Hand (N Y). 2014; 9: 145-150
- A comparison of splint versus pinning the distal interphalangeal joint for acute closed tendinous mallet injuries.J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2020; 25: 172-176
- A biomechanical study of extensor tendon repair methods: introduction to the running-interlocking horizontal mattress extensor tendon repair technique.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 19-23
Published online: December 09, 2022
Accepted: October 11, 2022
Received: October 25, 2021
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2023 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Journal CME QuestionsJournal of Hand SurgeryVol. 48Issue 3