Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- WHO’s Snakebite envenoming strategy for prevention and control.Lancet Glob Health. 2019; 7: e837-e838
- AAPCC database characterization of native U.S. venomous snake exposures, 2001-2005.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2009; 47: 327-335
- Management of snakebites in the upper extremity.J Hand Surg Am. 2019; 44: 137-142
- Epidemiological characteristics, hospital course and outcome of snakebite victims in West Texas.Hosp Pract (1995). 2015; 43: 217-220
- Epidemiology and hospital course of rattlesnake envenomations cared for at a tertiary referral center in Central Arizona.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 177-182
- Epidemiology, clinical features, and management of Texas coral snake (Micrurus tener) envenomations reported to the North American Snakebite Registry.J Med Toxicol. 2021; 17: 51-56
- Bites of venomous snakes.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 347-356
- Rattlesnake bite with associated compartment syndrome: what is the best treatment?.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85 (author reply 1164): 1163-1164
- Role of surgical intervention in the management of crotaline snake envenomation.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37: 175-180
- The effect of antivenin on intramuscular pressure elevations induced by rattlesnake venom.Toxicon. 1985; 23: 677-680
- Raised compartmental pressure in children: a basis for management.Injury. 1998; 29: 183-185
- Algorithmic approach to the prevention of unnecessary fasciotomy in extremity snake bite.Injury. 2016; 47: 2822-2827
- The management of upper extremity pit viper wounds.J Hand Surg Am. 1980; 5: 168-177
CroFab®. Prescribing information. Brentwood, tn 37027: Protherics Inc., 2012.
- Efficacy, safety, and use of snake antivenoms in the United States.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37: 181-188
Cocchio C, Johnson J, Clifton S. Review of North American pit viper antivenoms. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 24 2020;77(3):175–187.
- Incidence of immediate hypersensitivity reaction and serum sickness following administration of Crotalidae polyvalent immune Fab antivenom: a meta-analysis.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 121-131
- Comparison of F(ab’)2 versus Fab antivenom for pit viper envenomation: a prospective, blinded, multicenter, randomized clinical trial.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2015; 53: 37-45
- Georgia Poison Center.https://www.georgiapoisoncenter.org/about/mission-historyDate accessed: May 2, 2021
- Evaluation of venomous snakebite in Southern United States from parallel clinical and laboratory investigations.J Fla Med Assoc. 1963; XLIX: 959-967
- Snake venom poisoning in the United States.Annu Rev Med. 1980; 31: 247-259
- Lethality of crude and lyophilized crotalus venom.Toxicon. 1964; 15: 81-82
- Poisonous snakebite: a review. 2. Symptomatology and treatment.J Fla Med Assoc. 1976; 63: 201-210
Anavip®. Prescribing information [pending FDA approval at the time of this writing]. Mexico D.F., Mexico: instituto Bioclon S.A. deCv.
- Snake bite envenomation. World Health Organization.https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/snakebite-envenomingDate accessed: March 6, 2022
- How should native crotalid envenomation be managed in the emergency department?.J Emerg Med. 2021; 61: 41-48
- Drug industry. For Mexican antivenom maker, U.S. market is a snake pit.Science. 2014; 343: 16-17
- Drugs.com - Anavip prices.https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/anavipDate accessed: July 17, 2021
- ToxTidbits, June 2019.https://mdpoison.com/media/SOP/mdpoisoncom/ToxTidbits/2019/June%202019%20ToxTidbits.pdfDate accessed: July 17, 2021
- Acute adverse events associated with the administration of Crotalidae polyvalent immune Fab antivenom within the North American Snakebite Registry.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2018; 56: 1115-1120
- Evaluation of allergic reactions following intravenous infusion of polyvalent antivenom in snakebite patients.Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2021; 20: 367-372
- Does this patient have a severe snake envenomation?: the Rational Clinical Examination Systematic Review.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 346-354
- FabAV antivenin use after copperhead snakebite: clinically indicated or knee-jerk reaction?.J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis. 2016; 22: 2
- Current management of copperhead snakebite.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212 (discussion 474–475): 470-474
- Unified treatment algorithm for the management of crotaline snakebite in the United States: results of an evidence-informed consensus workshop.BMC Emerg Med. 2011; 11: 2
- Antibiotics after rattlesnake envenomation.J Emerg Med. 2002; 23: 327-328
- Pediatric snakebites: lessons learned from 114 cases.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 1338-1341
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.