This review represents our summary of what makes a great collaboration between a surgeon and a scientist. At first, with no perspective, such a collaboration seems easy and natural. But as time goes on, with more perspective, you realize how special it is. Now, in our 60s, with approximately 35 years of collaboration and 75 coauthored papers (most of them in The Journal of Hand Surgery), we are thankful and humbled for this tremendously fruitful and, importantly, enjoyable collaboration. We are not so foolish to think that we made this great collaboration—it was a gift. However, we now recognize many characteristics that make it great and have developed the following 10 tips.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Long-term effects of spinal cord transection on fast and slow rat skeletal muscle. II. Morphometric properties.Exp Neurol. 1986; 91: 435-448
- Surgical mobilization of skeletal muscles changes functional properties-implications for tendon transfers.J Hand Surg Am. 2021; 46: 341.e1-341.e10
- Anti-inflammatory medication after muscle injury. A treatment resulting in short-term improvement but subsequent loss of muscle function.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995; 77: 1510-1519
- Anatomical, architectural, and biochemical diversity of the murine forelimb muscles.J Anat. 2012; 221: 443-451
- Evidence for increased mobility of myofibrillar mobility in desmin-null mouse skeletal muscle.J Exp Biol. 2002; 205: 321-325
- Biomechanical properties of the brachioradialis muscle: implications for surgical tendon transfer.J Hand Surg Am. 2005; 30: 273-282
- Dorsal transfer of the brachioradialis to the flexor pollicis longus enables simultaneous powering of key pinch and forearm pronation.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 993-997
- Desmin knockout muscles generate lower stress and are less vulnerable to injury compared with wild-type muscles.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000; 279: C1116-C1122
- Quantitative evaluation of the posterior deltoid to triceps tendon transfer based on muscle architectural properties.J Hand Surg Am. 2001; 26: 147-155
- Mechanical feasibility of immediate mobilization of the brachioradialis muscle after tendon transfer.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 1473-1478
- Pronator teres is an appropriate donor muscle for restoration of wrist and thumb extension.J Hand Surg Am. 2005; 30: 1068-1073
- Intrinsic hand muscle function, part 1: creating a functional grasp.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 2093-2099
- Intrinsic hand muscle function, part 2: kinematic comparison of 2 reconstructive procedures.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 2100-2105.e1
- Mechanical strength of the side-to-side versus Pulvertaft weave tendon repair.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 540-545
- The mechanical strength of side-to-side tendon repair with mismatched tendon size and shape.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015; 40: 239-245
- Fail Fast, Fail Often: How Losing Can Help You Win.Penguin, 2013
- Risk-Return Analysis: The Theory and Practice of Rational Investing.McGraw-Hill, 2014
- Simultaneous stiffness and force measurements reveal subtle injury to rabbit soleus muscles.Mol Cell Biochem. 1998; 179: 147-158
- Myoneural necrosis following high-frequency electrical stimulation of the cast-immobilized rabbit hindlimb.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 1989; 53: 261-273
- Selective damage of fast glycolytic muscle fibres with eccentric contraction of the rabbit tibialis anterior.Acta Physiol Scand. 1988; 133: 587-588
- Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation.Riverhead Books, 2010
- Outliers: The Story of Success.1st ed. Little, Brown and Co, 2008
- Structural and mechanical basis of exercise-induced muscle injury.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992; 24: 521-530
- Functional and clinical significance of skeletal muscle architecture.Muscle Nerve. 2000; 23: 1647-1666
Published online: February 24, 2022
Accepted: January 3, 2022
Received: January 7, 2021
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2022 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.