A dramatic increase in firework-related blast injuries to the hand and upper extremity resulted in record-setting numbers at our institution over the July 4, 2018, holiday. This led our hand and upper extremity department to create a public service announcement (PSA) campaign regarding firework safety and injury prevention. This PSA was broadcast in advance of the next July 4 holiday via several media platforms including television, radio, and the internet. The following year only 4 patients required surgery for firework-related blast injuries to the hand and upper extremity over the same 10-day period, including the weekends before and after the July 4, 2019, holiday. This represented a considerable reduction compared with the 14 patients seen within the same time frame in 2018. The purpose of this article was to outline the process and report the impact of creating and disseminating a public service announcement for firework-related blast injury prevention.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epidemiology of firework-related injuries in the United States: 2000-2010.Injury. 2014; 45: 1704-1709
- United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. 2019 Firework Annual Report: Fireworks-Related Deaths, Emergency Department-Treated Injuries, and Enforcement Activities During 2019. June 2020.https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/FireworksDate accessed: February 12, 2020
- US emergency department visits for fireworks injuries, 2006-2010.J Surg Res. 2014; 190: 305-311
- Reconstruction of blast injuries of the hand and upper limb.Injury. 2013; 44: 305-312
- Lessons from the modern battlefield: successful upper extremity injury reconstruction in the subacute period.J Trauma. 2009; 67: 752-757
- Populations Estimates Program, American Community Survey, 2019.https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/orlandocityflorida,FL/RHI725219Date accessed: February 12, 2020
- Orlando Health. Facebook Live Video. June 20, 2019.https://www.facebook.com/orlandohealth/videos/1042065279337809Date accessed: January 3, 2020
- Effects of a televised two-city safer sex mass media campaign targeting high-sensation-seeking and impulsive-decision-making young adults.Health Educ Behav. 2007; 34: 810-826
- Effects of anti-smoking public service announcements on the attitudes of Korean college students toward smoking.Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2017; 8: 397-404
- Evaluating the effect of a television public service announcement about epilepsy.Health Educ Res. 2010; 25: 1050-1060
Published online: January 22, 2022
Accepted: November 15, 2021
Received: July 29, 2021
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2022 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.