Epithelioid sarcoma (ES) is a high-grade, soft tissue tumor of mesenchymal origin that rarely occurs in children and is often misdiagnosed as a benign entity. We present the case of a 12-year-old girl with a delayed diagnosis of ES of the left thumb. Radiological examination showed possible calcinosis from inflammation or traumatic injury. However, histopathological and immunohistochemistry studies showed findings consistent with a diagnosis of ES. She was treated with amputation of the interphalangeal joint of the left thumb. This case highlights the clinical and pathologic correlation required for the appropriate diagnosis and treatment of patients with soft tissue masses.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epithelioid sarcoma presenting as recurrent thumb ulcer: a lesson to learn.Indian J Surg Oncol. 2018; 9: 251-253
- FNA of epithelioid sarcoma: curie institute experience and critical review of the literature.Cancer Cytopathol. 2018; 126: 934-941
- Epithelioid sarcoma: diagnostic features and genetics.Adv Anat Pathol. 2016; 23: 41-49
- Epithelioid sarcoma in children, adolescents, and young adults: localized, primary metastatic and relapsed disease. Treatment results of five cooperative weichteilsarkom studiengruppe (CWS) trials and one registry.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019; 66e27879
- Epithelioid sarcoma.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009; 133: 814-819
- Epithelioid sarcoma: morphologic variants and differential diagnosis.Pathologe. 2010; 31: 135-141
- Anthracycline, gemcitabine, and pazopanib in epithelioid sarcoma: a multi- institutional case series.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4e180219
- Magnetic resonance and computed tomography imaging features of epithelioid sarcoma in children and young adults with pathological and clinical correlation: a report from Children’s Oncology Group study ARST0332.Pediatr Radiol. 2019; 49: 922-932
- Intramuscular epithelioid sarcoma presenting as extrinsic flexor tightness in the forearm.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 954.e1-954.e5
Published online: July 07, 2021
Accepted: May 12, 2021
Received: July 8, 2020
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2022 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.