In the future, it is expected that treatment of Dupuytren disease (DD) may shift toward control of early disease. Ultrasound might be an accurate method to measure the outcome of such treatment. The aim of this study was to assess the reliability of sonographic measurement of palmar nodules.
Fifty patients with nodules characteristic for early disease were assessed with ultrasound by 2 observers. Four different aspects of DD nodules were measured in the transversal and sagittal planes, width, depth, circumference, and area. The intra- and interobserver reliabilities were calculated using the intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC). The standard error of measurement (SEM) and the smallest detectable change (SDC) were also calculated for each aspect.
The intraobserver reliability was good (ICC, 0.724 [0.562–0.833] to 0.886 [0.808–0.934]), except for width in the sagittal direction (ICC, 0.671 [0.484–0.799]). The interobserver reliability was moderate (ICC, 0.385 [0.126–0.596] to 0.757 [0.538–0.869]). The intraobserver ICCs of area were highest (transverse, 0.847 [0.744–0.893]; sagittal, 0.886 [0.808–0.934]). The SEM and SDC of area were 6.1 and 16.9 mm2 in the transverse and 8.0 and 22.2 mm2 in the sagittal plane.
The intraobserver reliability of sonographic assessment of DD nodules is good. The measurement of area is the most reliable and is, therefore, recommended for future studies. However, even single-observer measurements have a clear dispersion, and a change beyond 16.9 (61%) and 22.2 mm2 (79%) has to be observed in the transverse and sagittal planes, respectively, before it can be considered as regression or progression.
Repeated ultrasonographic measurements in DD should ideally be done by a single observer, using area of the nodule in the sagittal plane. Change beyond 16.9 (transverse) and 22.2 (sagittal) mm2 can be considered as a real change in nodule size.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Alternative and adjunctive treatments for Dupuytren disease.Hand Clin. 2018; 34: 367-375
- Dupuytren disease: on our way to a cure?.Acta Orthop Belg. 2013; 79: 243-249
- Anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy for Dupuytren's disease: a randomised dose response proof of concept phase 2a clinical trial.EBioMedicine. 2018; 33: 282-288
- Intra- and inter-observer agreement on diagnosis of Dupuytren disease, measurements of severity of contracture, and disease extent.Man Ther. 2015; 20: 580-586
- Long-term follow-up of Dupuytren disease after injection of triamcinolone acetonide in Chinese patients in Taiwan.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2017; 42: 678-682
- Ultrasound imaging of Dupuytren's contracture.J Radiol. 2010; 91: 687-691
- Diagnostic ultrasound of the hand and wrist.J Hand Surg Am. 1996; 21: 1004-1010
- Image processing with ImageJ.Biophotonics Int. 2004; 11: 36-42
- Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires.J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 34-42
- Measurement in medicine: the analysis of method comparison studies.Statistician. 1983; 32: 307-317
- Reliability. Measurement in Medicine: A Practical Guide.Cambridge University Press, New York2011: 96-149
- Cross-frictional therapy and stretching for the treatment of palmar adhesions due to Dupuytren's contracture: a prospective case study.Man Ther. 2012; 17: 479-482
Published online: March 14, 2020
Accepted: January 10, 2020
Received: January 27, 2019
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2020 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.