We present a rare case and unusual presentation of digital extensor tendon congenital hypoplasia. A 34-year-old woman presented to our clinic with the inability to extend her index, middle, and ring fingers since birth. Her tendons were reconstructed using transfer of flexor digitorum superficialis tendons from the middle and ring fingers to the extensor aponeurosis of the index, middle, and ring fingers. An acellular dermal substitute was applied in a novel way to reconstruct the extensor retinaculum and promote a successful functional outcome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anatomy of the extensor tendons of the fingers: variations and multiplicity.J Hand Surg Am. 1995; 20: 27-34
- Congenital aplasia or hypoplasia of the thumb and finger extensor tendons.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1966; 48: 82-91
- Congenital deficiency of the extrinsic extensor mechanism of the hand.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1977; 125: 36-39
- Congenital clasped thumb (congenital flexion-adduction deformity of the thumb). A syndrome, not a specific entity.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1968; 50: 1417-1428
- Congenital aplasia of the extensor muscles of the fingers and thumb associated with generalized polyneuropathy: an autosomal recessive trait.Am J Med Genet. 1986; 24: 247-254
- Congenital aplasia or hypoplasia of extensor tendons of hand: a case report and review of literature.J R Coll Surg Edinb. 2001; 46: 57-58
- Extensor tendon hypoplasia and multiple pterygia: Escobar syndrome in a 7-year old boy.Br J Plastic Surg. 2002; 55: 516-519
- Congenital aplasia or hypoplasia of the finger extensors.Hand (N Y). 1975; 7: 15-21
- FlexHD [brochure].MTF Ethicon, Edison, NJ2010
- Trapezium resection with suspension and interposition arthroplasty using acellular dermal allograft for thumb carpometacarpal arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 1029-1036
- Arthroscopic interposition arthroplasty of the first carpometacarpal joint.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007; 32: 268-274
- Prospective analysis comparing arthroplasty with HD-Flex versus trapezial resection alone in basilar joint arthritis.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2017; 5: e1571
- An anatomic and biomechanic study of the wrist extensor retinaculum septa and tendon compartments.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 896-903
- Importance of the reconstruction of the extensor retinaculum after injury.J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2011; 45: 252-254
- The extensor retinaculum of the wrist: an anatomical and biomechanical study.J Hand Surg Br. 1985; 10: 11-16
- The effect of progressive extensor retinaculum excision on wrist biomechanics and bowstringing.J Hand Surg. 2015; 40: 2388-2392
Published online: May 15, 2019
Accepted: March 26, 2019
Received: August 14, 2018
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2020 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.