Most studies have demonstrated little difference in the outcome of the various techniques proposed for the surgical treatment of thumb carpometacarpal (CMC) arthritis. However, the difficulty and time required to perform each technique vary widely. In addition, the introduction of recent implants has increased the cost of the overall procedure. We hypothesize that using a simple, yet stable, suture suspension technique without tendon interposition or ligament reconstruction yields similar results to conventional approaches with less operative time.
Three hundred twenty consecutive patients underwent thumb CMC arthroplasty by trapezial excision and metacarpal suspension using #2 high-strength orthopedic suture locked weave alone passed from the distal most abductor pollicis longus and flexor carpi radialis insertions without K-wire fixation or tendon transfer. Average duration of preoperative symptoms was 17.8 months. Patient radiographs were graded for arthritis severity and a visual analog scale (VAS) pain score (scale 0–10) obtained. Postoperative clinical and radiological follow-up averaged 5.4 years (minimum, 24 months).
The average age at surgery was 57.3 years and there were 221 women (243 procedures) and 65 men (77 procedures). Average total operative time was 23.4 minutes. The dominant hand was involved in 52% of patients. All had prior treatment including orthoses and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with 312 having had at least 1 steroid injection. Five patients had stage 1, 134 had stage 2, 164 had stage 3, and 17 had stage 4 disease on radiographs. Average trapezial space height on final follow-up radiographs was 0.8 cm. Two patients had complete trapezial space collapse and required a revision procedure. The average VAS score was 0.6 with pain eliminated in 269 thumbs, minimal in 49, and unchanged/worse in 2. All patients that were employed at the time of surgery returned to work at an average of 2.3 months (range, 3–16 weeks).
Suture suspension thumb CMC arthroplasty provides comparable clinical results and several advantages over many current techniques that are described in the literature. The advantages include shortened operative time, inherent stability of the thumb metacarpal height, and no necessity for K-wire fixation, tendon transfers, or implants.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Radiographic thumb osteoarthritis: frequency, patterns and associations with pain and clinical assessment findings in a community-dwelling population.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2011; 50: 735-739
- Thumb carpal metacarpal arthritis.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008; 16: 140-151
- The role of arthroscopy in evaluating and treating trapeziometacarpal disease.Hand Clin. 2001; 17: 315-319
- Extension metacarpal osteotomy in the treatment of trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: a biomechanical study.J Hand Surg Am. 1996; 21: 16-23
- Treatment of Eaton stage I trapeziometacarpal disease with thumb metacarpal extension osteotomy.J Hand Surg Am. 2000; 25: 1100-1106
- Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1973; 55: 1655-1666
- Excision of the trapezium for osteoarthritis of the trapezio-metacarpal joint.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1949; 31B: 537-539
- Newest advances in the operative treatment of basal joint arthritis.Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2007; 65: 78-86
- CMC arthroplasty of the thumb: a review.Hand (N Y). 2007; 2: 232-239
- Evidence-based practice in the surgical treatment of thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2017; 42: 104-112.e1
- Tendon arthroplasty of the trapeziometacarpal joint.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1970; 70: 191-199
- Histopathology of the palmar beak ligament in trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 1999; 24: 496-504
- Surgical management of basal joint arthritis of the thumb. Part II. Ligament reconstruction with tendon interposition arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 1986; 11: 324-332
- Excision of the trapezium for osteoarthritis of the trapeziometacarpal joint: a study of the benefit of ligament reconstruction or tendon interposition.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29: 1069-1077
- Trapeziectomy alone, with tendon interposition or with ligament reconstruction?.J Hand Surg Br. 1997; 22: 689-694
- Trapeziectomy for trapeziometacarpal joint osteoarthritis: is ligament reconstruction and temporary stabilisation of the pseudarthrosis with a Kirschner wire important?.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2009; 34: 312-321
- Ligament reconstruction basal joint arthroplasty without tendon interposition.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997; : 42-45
- Hematoma and distraction arthroplasty for thumb basal joint osteoarthritis: minimum 6.5-year follow-up evaluation.J Hand Surg Am. 2007; 32: 23-29
- Ligament reconstruction with or without tendon interposition to treat primary thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis. A prospective randomized study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86-A: 209-218
- Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacarpal joint) osteoarthritis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 4: CD004631
- Surgical treatment of osteoarthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb: a systematic review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114: 421-432
- Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacarpal joint) osteoarthritis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 4: CD004631
- Entire flexor carpi radialis tendon harvest for thumb carpometacarpal arthroplasty alters wrist kinetics.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 1171-1175
- Hematoma and distraction arthroplasty for basal thumb osteoarthritis.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2004; 8: 2-6
- Suture suspension arthroplasty technique for basal joint arthritis reconstruction.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2009; 13: 166-172
- Suture suspension arthroplasty for thumb carpometacarpal arthritis reconstruction: long-term outcome.J Hand Surg Am. 2015; 40: e29-e30
- Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment.Hand Clin. 1987; 3: 455-471
- Suture anchor suspension and fascia lata interposition arthroplasty for basal joint arthritis of the thumb.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 497-504
- A new abductor pollicis longus suspension arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 2007; 32: 12-22
- Surgical treatment of thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis: a single institution experience from 1995-2005.Hand (N Y). 2008; 3: 304-310
- Long-term results after resection arthroplasty in patients with arthrosis of the thumb carpometacarpal joint: comparison of abductor pollicis longus and flexor carpi radialis tendon suspension.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2006; 38 ([in German]): 98-103
- A comparison of trapeziectomy with and without ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition.J Hand Surg Am. 2000; 25: 350-356
- Resection, interposition and suspension arthroplasty for treatment of basal joint arthritis of the thumb: a randomized and prospective comparison of techniques using the abductor pollicis longus and the flexor carpi radialis tendon.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2011; 43 ([in German]): 289-294
- Basal joint osteoarthritis of the thumb: ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition versus hematoma distraction arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 1968-1975
- Mean 5-Year Follow-up for suture button suspensionplasty in the treatment of thumb carpometacarpal joint osteoarthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2017; 42: 569.e1-569.e11
Accepted: February 1, 2019
Received: June 15, 2018
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2019 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.