We describe a case of Ewing sarcoma in the metacarpal of a 5-month-old male. After pain, erythema, and swelling of the hand failed to resolve with antibiotics, radiographs and magnetic resonance imaging raised suspicion for a neoplastic condition. Open biopsy confirmed the diagnosis of Ewing sarcoma and treatment with chemotherapy and surgical resection was initiated. Ewing sarcoma of the hand in a patient this young is an exceedingly rare diagnosis, which highlights the importance of a broad differential diagnosis when the treatments for more common conditions fail.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Malignant tumors of the hand and wrist.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2006; 14: 680-692
- Ewing's sarcoma masquerading as osteomyelitis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; 357: 176-185
- Ewing sarcoma in a phalanx of an infant's finger: a case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1989; 71: 1262-1265
- Malignant bone and soft-tissue sarcomas of the hand.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 4: 60-72
- Ewing's sarcoma of the hand: localization and treatment.J Hand Surg Am. 1990; 15: 659-662
- Ewing’s sarcoma of the hand.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1992; 159: 101-102
- Prognostic factors and patterns of relapse in Ewing sarcoma patients treated with chemotherapy and R0 resection.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 92: 349-357
- Dose-intensified compared with standard chemotherapy for nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: a Children's Oncology Group study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2536-2541
- Ewing's sarcoma of the hand: magnetic resonance images and treatment.J Hand Surg Am. 1995; 20: 441-444
- Fibulo-scapho-lunate arthrodesis as a motion-preserving procedure after tumour resection of the distal radius.J Hand Surg Br. 2002; 27: 573-576
- Primitive neuroectodermal tumor of the thumb metacarpal bone: a case report and literature review.J Hand Surg Am. 2003; 28: 346-352
- Radiographic appearance of Ewing sarcoma of the hands and feet: report from the Intergroup Ewing Sarcoma Study.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1985; 144: 331-336
- Ewing sarcoma of the first metacarpal with a 9-year follow-up: case report.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 1575-1578
- Ewing’s sarcoma of the hand.J Hand Surg Am. 1979; 4: 372-374
- Ewing’s sarcoma of the metacarpal bone of the hand: a case report.J Hand Surg Am. 1998; 23: 748-752
Published online: October 17, 2018
Accepted: September 4, 2018
Received: March 22, 2018
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2019 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.