Trapeziectomy with suture-button suspensionplasty is a surgical treatment option for thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis refractory to nonsurgical management. We describe the cases of 3 patients who presented with index metacarpal fracture, in the absence of traumatic injury, over 4 months after trapeziectomy with suture-button suspensionplasty. All 3 fractures demonstrated the same pattern: short oblique/spiral, oriented proximal radial to distal ulnar with the distal end in the vicinity of the index metacarpal button, presumably after the orientation of the metacarpal drill hole. Two of the fractures were treated with surgical fixation. Fracture healing was obtained in all cases. Two of the 3 patients remained symptomatic with thumb pain, but decided against revision treatment for the carpometacarpal osteoarthritis. The third underwent restabilization of the suture button at the time of fracture fixation. Although uncommon, index metacarpal fracture after trapeziectomy with suture-button suspensionplasty can present without trauma several months after surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Review of thumb carpometacarpal arthritis classification, treatment and outcomes.Can J Plast Surg. 2011; 19: 134-138
- Conservative treatment of thumb base osteoarthritis: a systematic review.J Hand Surg Am. 2015; 40: 16-21
- A survey to determine current practice patterns in the surgical treatment of advanced thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthrosis.Hand (NY). 2010; 5: 415-422
- Suture button compared with K-wire fixation for maintenance of posttrapeziectomy space height in a cadaver model of lateral pinch.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 2061-2065
- Suture button suspensionplasty after arthroscopic hemitrapeziectomy for treatment of thumb carpometacarpal arthritis.Arthroscopy. 2010; 26: 1395-1403
- Mean 5-year follow-up for suture button suspensionplasty in the treatment of thumb carpometa-carpal joint osteoarthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2017; 42: 569.e1-569.e11
- Index metacarpal fracture after tightrope suspension following trapeziectomy: case report.J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37: 418-422
- Fracture of the index metacarpal after TightRope suspension for carpometacarpal instability of the thumb.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016; 41: 1000-1001
- Suture-button suspensionplasty for thumb carpometacarpal arthritis: a minimum 2-year follow-up.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 1161-1165
- Postoperative second metatarsal fractures associated with suture-button implant in hallux valgus surgery.Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34: 104-110
Published online: May 24, 2018
Accepted: April 6, 2018
Received: February 26, 2018
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2019 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.