Interdigitating triangular flaps is the most commonly described technique for syndactyly release. However, triangular flaps may be associated with flap misalignment, flap tip necrosis, and a steep learning curve in design and technique. This study describes a series of syndactyly reconstructions using interdigitating rectangular flaps in both simple and complex syndactyly.
A single surgeon’s experience of syndactyly reconstruction using interdigitating rectangular flaps was reviewed retrospectively. Patient demographics, associated syndromes, operative technique, complications, and recurrences were analyzed.
Ninety-four web spaces in 50 children with 16 simple incomplete, 36 simple complete, 14 complex, 26 complicated, and 2 unclassified syndactylies were reconstructed with interdigitating rectangular flaps. Seventy-eight commissures were reconstructed with a dorsal pentagonal island flap and 16 with a dorsal rhomboid flap. Full-thickness skin grafts were used in 98% of webs. Five major complications required surgical intervention—2 recurrences, 2 web space scarrings, and 1 wound infection. Ten minor complications occurred—skin graft donor site dehiscence (3), partial loss of the skin graft (4), minor distal interphalangeal joint flexion contractures (2), and a case of minor web creep (1). Average follow-up was 13.7 months. All parents were satisfied with the function and appearance of their child’s reconstructed digits.
Interdigitating rectangular flaps provide an effective technique for release of both simple and complex syndactyly. Advantages include easy learning owing to the relative simplicity of design; intraoperative modification of flap design (cut as you go), and wide flap tips, which prevent flap tip necrosis.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evaluation of the operative treatment of syndactyly.J Hand Surg Am. 1979; 4: 556-564
- The Care of Congenital Hand Anomalies.CV Mosby, St. Louis1977
- Syndactyly.Hand Clin. 1990; 6: 555-575
- Technical modification in repair of syndactylism.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1946; 17: 385-392
- Syndactyly release: results of the Flatt technique.Acta Orthop Belg. 1998; 64: 301-305
- V-Y dorsal metacarpal flap: a new technique for the correction of syndactyly without skin graft.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 101: 1861-1866
- Practical Factors in the Treatment of Syndactyly.in: Symposium on Reconstructive Hand Surgery. CV Mosby, St. Louis1974
- Late results following surgical correction of syndactyly and symbrachydactyly.Z Kinderchir. 1989; 44 ([in German]): 50-54
- Syndactyly: a review of the factors which influence surgical treatment.J Hand Surg Br. 1989; 14: 196-200
- Island flap reconstruction of the web space in congenital incomplete syndactyly.J Hand Surg Br. 2004; 29: 377-380
- Syndactyly correction without skin-grafting.J Hand Surg Br. 1996; 21: 330-337
- Dorsal pentagonal local flap: a new technique of web reconstruction for syndactyly without skin graft.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2011; 35: 530-537
- The modified V-Y dorsal metacarpal flap for repair of syndactyly without skin graft.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 125: 225-232
- Improved “bell-bottom” flap surgical technique for syndactyly without skin graft.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 128: 504e-509e
- Long-term results of primary syndactyly correction by the trilobed flap technique.Br J Plast Surg. 2005; 58: 14-21
- Versatile use of the VM-plasty for reconstruction of the web space.Ann Plast Surg. 2005; 55: 623-628
- End-of-skin grafts in syndactyly release: description of a new flap for web space resurfacing and primary closure of finger defects.Hand (N Y). 2009; 4: 29-34
- A modification of the Chinese island flap technique for simple incomplete syndactyly release.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2009; 34: 99-103
- Repair of incomplete simple syndactyly by a web flap on a subcutaneous tissue pedicle.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 2079-2081
- Correction of syndactyly using a dorsal separated V-Y advancement flap and a volar triangular flap in adults.Ann Plast Surg. 2011; 67: 357-363
- The three-square-flap method for reconstruction of minor syndactyly.J Hand Surg Am. 1997; 22: 680-684
- Dorsal metacarpal island flap in syndactyly treatment.Ann Plast Surg. 2004; 52: 43-48
- Syndactyly correction.Br J Plast Surg. 1989; 42: 12-16
- Rectangular flaps technique for treatment of congenital hand syndactyly.Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 1999; 54: 107-110
- A three-flap web-plasty for release of short congenital syndactyly and dorsal adduction contracture.J Hand Surg Am. 1991; 16: 634-641
- An operation for syndactyly, and its results.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1976; 58: 561-567
- A new technique for the division of syndactyly.Eur J Plast Surg. 1990; 13: 101-104
- Hourglass dorsal metacarpal island flap: a new design for syndactylized web reconstruction.J Hand Surg Am. 2008; 33: 905-908
- Long-term outcomes of web creep, scar quality, and function after simple syndactyly surgical treatment.J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35: 1323-1329
- Results of syndactyly release using a modification of the Flatt technique.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014; 39: 984-988
- Comparative study of 2 commissural dorsal flap techniques for the treatment of congenital syndactyly.J Pediatr Orthop. 2013; 33: 197-204
- Syndactyly: can web creep be avoided?.J Hand Surg Br. 1990; 15: 193-200
Accepted: January 25, 2019
Received: December 21, 2017
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2019 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.