Materials and Methods
Type of study/level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
- Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2010–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1445-1452
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ten leading causes of death and injury. Injury Prevention and Control: Data and Statistics (WISQARS); 2016. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/LeadingCauses.html. Accessed June 28, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Wide-ranging online data for epidemiologic research (WONDER). National Center for Health Statistics. Atlanta, GA: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics; 2016. Available at: https://wonder.cdc.gov/mortSQL.html. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- Secular trends in opioid prescribing in the USA.J Pain Res. 2017; 10: 383-387
Maier GT, Jackson AD. Ohio Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force: Final Report Task Force Recommendations. Available at: https://www.odh.ohio.gov/-/media/ODH/ASSETS/Files/health/injury-prevention/opdatffinalreport.pdf?la=en. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- Opioid pain medication use after dermatologic surgery.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 317-321
- Opioid consumption following outpatient upper extremity surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37: 645-650
- Overprescription of postoperative narcotics: a look at postoperative pain medication delivery, consumption and disposal in urological practice.J Urol. 2011; 185: 551-555
- Increase in legitimate use as well as abuse.JAMA. 2011; 297: 249-251
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1229-1301
- Opioid use after upper extremity surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 470-479
- A prospective evaluation of opioid utilization after upper-extremity surgical procedures: identifying consumption patterns and determining prescribing guidelines.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: E89
Stanton T. Symposium addresses pain management in the opioid epidemic. AAOS Now. Available at: https://www.aaos.org/AAOSNow/2014/Apr/clinical/clinical1/. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- Analgesic consumption following outpatient carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg Am. 2017; 43: 189.e1-189.e5
- A prospective randomized study analyzing preoperative opioid counseling in pain management after carpal tunnel release surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2017; 42: 810-815
- Perioperative celecoxib and postoperative opioid use in hand surgery: a prospective cohort study.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 346-353
- An educational intervention decreases opioid prescribing after general surgical operations.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: 468-472
- Reduced length of hospital stay in colorectal surgery after implementation of an enhanced recovery protocol.Anesth Analg. 2014; 118: 1052-1061
- A new concept for early recovery after surgery for patients undergoing radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: results from a prospective randomized study.J Urol. 2014; 191: 335-340
- The effect of an educational program on opioid prescription patterns in hand surgery: a quality improvement program.J Hand Surg Am. 2016; 40: 341-346
- Prospective evaluation of an opioid reduction protocol in hand surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 516-522
- Support for safer opioid prescribing practices: a catalog of use after orthopaedic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: 1945-1955
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Calculating total daily dose of opioids for safer dosage. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/calculating_total_daily_dose-a.pdf. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- Management of postoperative pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American pain society, the American society of regional anesthesia and pain medicine, and the American society of anesthesiologists’ committee on regional anesthesia, executive commi.J Pain. 2016; 17: 131-157
Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States, Inc. Model Policy for the Use of Controlled Substances for the Treatment of Pain. 2004. Available at: https://www.ihs.gov/painmanagement/includes/themes/newihstheme/display_objects/documents/modelpolicytreatmentpain.pdf. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery: a systematic review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 1066-1071
- Opioid use, satisfaction, and pain intensity after orthopedic surgery.Psychosomatics. 2015; 56: 479-485
- Satisfaction with pain relief after operative treatment of an ankle fracture.Injury. 2012; 43: 1958-1961
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.