The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical and radiographic outcomes of Neer type IIb distal clavicle fractures treated with anatomical locking plate fixation combined with coracoclavicular ligament augmentation.
Twelve patients with Neer Type IIb distal clavicle fractures treated with anatomical locking plate fixation combined with suture anchor augmentation of the coracoclavicular ligament, were retrospectively studied. Clinical outcomes were assessed using the Constant score and the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand (DASH) score. Coracoclavicular distance was measured on plain radiographs.
All patients were reexamined at a mean follow-up of 26.3 months (range, 25–30 months). Bony union occurred in all cases within 12 weeks and no major complications were encountered. At the final follow-up, the mean Constant score was 94 (range, 87–100) and the DASH score was 10.4 (range, 2–20). The mean postoperative coracoclavicular distance on the injured side was decreased by 40% compared with the preoperative status.
Surgical fixation of Neer type IIb distal clavicle fractures using anatomical locking plate fixation combined with suture anchor augmentation of the coracoclavicular ligament was associated with a satisfactory functional outcome and low complication rate.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of clavicle fractures: current concepts review.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012; 21: 423-429
- Fractures of the distal third of the clavicle.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1968; 58: 43-50
- Operative and nonoperative treatment of clavicle fractures in adults.Acta Orthop. 2012; 83: 65-73
- Surgical treatment of Neer type-II fractures of the distal clavicle: a meta-analysis.Acta Orthop. 2013; 84: 184-190
- Management of acute unstable distal clavicle fracture with a modified coracoclavicular stabilization technique using a bidirectional coracoclavicular loop system.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2016; 26: 139-143
- Fractures of the distal clavicle: comparison between two surgical treatment methods.Rev Bras Ortop. 2015; 50: 136-141
- Treatment of distal clavicle fracture using Kirschner wires and tension-band wires.J Trauma. 2001; 51: 522-525
- Coracoclavicular screw fixation for unstable distal clavicle fractures.Orthopedics. 2005; 28: 693-696
- Clavicular hook plate: complications of retaining the implant.Injury. 2006; 37: 665
- Treatment of distal clavicle fractures using an arthroscopic technique.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17: 395-398
- Fixation failure of the clavicular hook plate: a report of three cases.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2006; 14: 333-335
- Kirschner wire migration from the clavicle to the cervical spine.Int J Case Rep Images. 2013; 4: 308-311
- Surgical treatment of distal clavicle fractures using the clavicular hook plate.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 447: 158-164
- Stabilisation of vertical unstable distal clavicular fractures (Neer 2b) using locking T-plates and suture anchors.Injury. 2009; 40: 236-239
- Fixation of unstable type II clavicle fractures with distal clavicle plate and suture button.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: e269-e272
- Distal clavicle fracture.Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2014; 26: 254-262
- A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987; 214: 160-164
- The Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) outcome questionnaire: longitudinal construct validity and measuring self-rated health change after surgery.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003; 4: 11
- Fracture of distal end clavicle: a review.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2014; 5: 65-73
- Inverted distal clavicle anatomic locking plate for displaced medial clavicle fracture.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 1241-1245
- Angular stable fixation of displaced distal-third clavicle fractures with superior precontoured locking plates.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015; 24: 700-704
- Precontoured locking plate fixation for displaced lateral clavicle fractures.Orthopedics. 2013; 36: 801-807
- Management of distal clavicle fractures.Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011; 19: 392-401
- Ligament mechanics during three degree-of-freedom motion at the acromioclavicular joint.Ann Biomed Eng. 2000; 28: 612-618
- Biomechanical study of the ligamentous system of the acromioclavicular joint.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1986; 68: 434-440
- Distal-third clavicle fracture fixation: a biomechanical evaluation of fixation.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013; 22 (2): 848-855
- Type 2 fractures of the distal clavicle: a new surgical technique.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1997; 6: 380-382
- Surgical treatment for distal clavicle fracture associated with coracoclavicular ligament rupture using a cannulated screw fixation technique.J Trauma. 2006; 60: 1358-1361
- Treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures using two suture anchors and suture tension bands.Injury. 2009; 40: 1308-1312
- Addition of a suture anchor for coracoclavicular fixation to a superior locking plate improves stability of type IIB distal clavicle fractures.Arthroscopy. 2013; 29: 998-1004
- Anatomic locking plate and coracoclavicular stabilization with suture endo-button technique is superior in the treatment of Neer type II distal clavicle fractures.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015; 25: 827-832
Published online: September 16, 2017
Accepted: August 1, 2017
Received: August 23, 2016
This study was financially supported by the health project grant from the Science and Technology Department of Hangzhou City, China, No. 20130633B48.
© 2017 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.