Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
- Chapter 8: Current techniques and concepts in peripheral nerve repair.Int Rev Neurobiol. 2009; 87: 141-172
- Surgical treatment of traumatic peroneal nerve lesions.Neurosurgery. 2008; 62 (discussion 664-673): 664-673
- Preferential reinnervation of motor nerves by regenerating motor axons.J Neurosci. 1988; 8: 1026-1031
- Motor axons preferentially reinnervate motor pathways.J Neurosci. 1993; 13: 2730-2738
- Selective reinnervation of distal motor stumps by peripheral motor axons.Exp Neurol. 1987; 97: 289-300
- Peripheral nerve regeneration through guidance tubes.Neurol Res. 2004; 26: 151-160
- An alternative to the classical nerve graft for the management of the short nerve gap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 82: 849-856
- Collagen tube conduits in peripheral nerve repair: a retrospective analysis.Hand (N Y). 2010; 5: 273-277
Albert E. Berichte des Naturwissenschaftlich-medizins in Innsbruck. Innsbruck, Austria: Universitätsverlag Wagner; 1878:97.
- Optimized acellular nerve graft is immunologically tolerated and supports regeneration.Tissue Eng. 2004; 10: 1641-1651
- Regeneration of the rat sciatic nerve into allografts made acellular through chemical extraction.Brain Res. 1998; 795: 44-54
- A randomized prospective study of polyglycolic acid conduits for digital nerve reconstruction in humans.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 106 (discussion 1046-1048): 1036-1045
- A prospective clinical evaluation of biodegradable neurolac nerve guides for sensory nerve repair in the hand.J Hand Surg Am. 2005; 30: 513-518
- Allograft reconstruction for digital nerve loss.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 1965-1971
- Early clinical outcomes with the use of decellularized nerve allograft for repair of sensory defects within the hand.Hand (N Y). 2009; 4: 245-249
- The clinical use of artificial nerve conduits for digital nerve repair: a prospective cohort study and literature review.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2009; 25: 55-61
- Sensory recovery 1 year after bridging digital nerve defects with collagen tubes.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 90-97
- Treatment of a segmental nerve defect in the rat with use of bioabsorbable synthetic nerve conduits: a comparison of commercially available conduits.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 2194-2204
- A study of nerve regeneration across synthetic (Maxon) and biologic (collagen) nerve conduits for nerve gaps up to 5 cm in the primate.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1990; 6: 117-121
- Monkey median nerve repaired by nerve graft or collagen nerve guide tube.J Neurosci. 1995; 15: 4109-4123
- The overwhelming use of rat models in nerve regeneration research may compromise designs of nerve guidance conduits for humans.J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2015; 26: 226
- Motor nerve regeneration across a conduit.Microsurgery. 2009; 29: 107-114
- Type I collagen nerve conduits for median nerve repairs in the forearm.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 1119-1124
- Limitations of conduits in peripheral nerve repairs.Hand (N Y). 2009; 4: 180-186
- Management of nerve gaps: autografts, allografts, nerve transfers, and end-to-side neurorrhaphy.Exp Neurol. 2010; 223: 77-85
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Int J Surg. 2010; 8: 336-341
Howick J, Chalmers I, Glasziou P, et al. The 2011 Oxford CEBM Evidence Levels of Evidence (Introductory Document). Available at: http://www.cebm.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CEBM-Levels-of-Evidence-Introduction-2.1.pdf. Accessed March 28, 2017.
- Reconstruction of upper-extremity peripheral-nerve injuries with ePTFE conduits.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1998; 14: 227-232
- The use of silicone tubing in the late repair of the median and ulnar nerves in the forearm.J Hand Surg Br. 1999; 24: 703-706
- Tubular repair of the median or ulnar nerve in the human forearm: a 5-year follow-up.J Hand Surg Br. 2004; 29: 100-107
- Reconstruction of the spinal accessory nerve with autograft or neurotube? Two case reports.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2005; 21 (discussion 34): 29-33
- Collagen nerve guides for surgical repair of brachial plexus birth injury.J Neurosurg. 2006; 105: 452-456
- Reconstruction of the human median nerve in the forearm with the NeurotubeTM.Microsurgery. 2007; 27: 595-600
- Surgical repair of a 30 mm long human median nerve defect in the distal forearm by implantation of a chitosan-PGA nerve guidance conduit.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2012; 6: 163-168
- Neurological recovery across a 12-cm-long ulnar nerve gap repaired 3.25 years post trauma: case report.Neurosurgery. 2011; 69: E1321-E1326
- Experience of using the bioresorbable copolyester poly(DL-lactide-epsilon-caprolactone) nerve conduit guide NeurolacTM for nerve repair in peripheral nerve defects: report on a series of 28 lesions.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012; 37: 342-349
- Collagen conduit versus microsurgical neurorrhaphy: 2-year follow-up of a prospective, blinded clinical and electrophysiological multicenter randomized, controlled trial.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 2405-2411
- Removal of collagen nerve conduits (NeuraGen) after unsuccessful implantation: focus on histological findings.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2013; 29: 517-522
- Clinical application of peripheral nerve transplantation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1992; 90: 695-699
- Nerve allotransplantation following severe tibial nerve injury. Case report.J Neurosurg. 1996; 84: 671-676
- Clinical outcome following nerve allograft transplantation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 107: 1419-1429
- Processed nerve allografts for peripheral nerve reconstruction: a multicenter study of utilization and outcomes in sensory, mixed, and motor nerve reconstructions.Microsurgery. 2012; 32: 1-14
- Nerve regeneration across cryopreserved allografts from cadaveric donors: a novel approach for peripheral nerve reconstruction.J Neurosurg. 2013; 119: 907-913
- Limitations of nerve repair of segmental defects using acellular conduits.J Neurosurg. 2013; 119: 733-738
Gartner Inc. Gartner Hype Cycle. Available at: http://www.gartner.com/technology/research/methodologies/hype-cycle.jsp. Accessed August 17, 2016.
- A comparison of manual and quantitative elbow strength testing.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 856-862
- Critical reappraisal of Medical Research Council muscle testing for elbow flexion.J Hand Surg Am. 2007; 32: 149-153
- Hemi-contralateral C7 transfer in traumatic brachial plexus injuries: outcomes and complications.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 131-137
- Processed allografts and type I collagen conduits for repair of peripheral nerve gaps.Muscle Nerve. 2009; 39: 787-799
- Return of motor function after segmental nerve loss in a rat model: comparison of autogenous nerve graft, collagen conduit, and processed allograft (AxoGen).J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 410-417
- Étude des résultats de la réparation de 85 nerfs dont 49 gros nerfs [in French].Rev Chir Orthop. 1977; 63: 153-160
Editor’s Suggestions for More Information
Comparison of outcomes from processed nerve allograft, hollow tube conduits, and autograft in peripheral never repair (see Video). Safa B. Talk presented at: American Society for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting: September 18–20, 2014; Boston, MA. Also available on Hand-e: http://www.assh.org/Hand-e.
Outcomes of digital nerve repair with processed nerve allograft and hollow tube conduits (see Video). Pet M. Talk presented at: American Society for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting: September 10–12, 2015; Seattle, WA. Also available on Hand-e: http://www.assh.org/Hand-e.
Short gap entubulation (see Video). Edwards SG. Talk presented at: American Society for Surgery of the Hand & American Association for Hand Surgery Specialty Day: March 28, 2015; Las Vegas, NV. Also available on Hand-e: http://www.assh.org/Hand-e.
Allograft reconstruction for digital nerve loss (see Video). Taras JS. Talk presented at: American Society for Surgery of the Hand & American Association for Hand Surgery Specialty Day: March 15, 2014; New Orleans, LA. Also available on Hand-e: http://www.assh.org/Hand-e.
The peripheral nerve gap: repair, replace, or transfer? (see Video). Taras JS. Talk presented at: American Society for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting: September 18–20, 2014; Boston, MA. Also available on Hand-e: http://www.assh.org/Hand-e.
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Journal CME QuestionsJournal of Hand SurgeryVol. 42Issue 5