The objective of this randomized controlled trial was to compare the 12-month postoperative Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire (MHQ) total score between patients with osteoarthritis (OA) at the first carpometacarpal (CMC I) joint who underwent trapeziectomy with suspension-interposition arthroplasty using the flexor carpi radialis (FCR) tendon and those receiving a human dermal collagen template (allograft).
We included 60 patients with CMC I OA who met the indications for surgery. They were randomized into 1 of 2 groups: trapeziectomy using the FCR tendon or trapeziectomy with the allograft for suspension-interposition. Patients completed a set of questionnaires including the MHQ and were clinically assessed at baseline, 6 weeks, and 3, 6, and 12 months after surgery. Complications were recorded.
We operated on 29 patients using the FCR tendon; 31 patients received an allograft. Baseline MHQ total scores significantly increased from 51 (95% confidence interval [CI], 46–56) to 83 (95% CI, 78–87) and 53 (95% CI, 47–58) to 76 (95% CI, 69–84) by 12 months in the FCR and allograft groups, respectively. We found similar outcomes for both groups at all follow-up assessments. Five complications occurred in the FCR group, and 10 in the allograft group. Revision surgery was required for one allograft patient.
The use of the FCR tendon or allograft for trapeziectomy with suspension-interposition arthroplasty in patients with CMC I OA leads to similar outcomes with more complications, mainly tendon irritations, associated with the latter. Therefore, we only use the allograft in cases of severe instability requiring a larger amount of suspension-interposition material or for revision procedures after failed suspension-interposition with the FCR tendon.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Joint-specific prevalence of osteoarthritis of the hand.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006; 14: 953-957
- Osteoarthritis in the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb: prevalence and associations with disability and mortality.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1452-1457
- Prevalence of osteoarthrosis of the trapeziometacarpal joint.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87: 2614-2618
- Current trends in nonoperative and operative treatment of trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: a survey of US hand surgeons.J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37: 77-82
- A survey to determine current practice patterns in the surgical treatment of advanced thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthrosis.Hand (N Y). 2010; 5: 415-422
- [Surgical treatment of the saddle joint arthrosis].Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 1983; 15: 168-176
- Tendon interposition arthroplasty of the first carpo-metacarpal joint.J Hand Surg Br. 1988; 13: 421-425
- Abductor pollicis longus tendon arthroplasty for treatment of arthrosis in the first carpometacarpal joint.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1991; 25: 73-77
- Adverse effect of porcine collagen interposition after trapeziectomy: a comparative study.J Hand Surg Br. 2001; 26: 159-164
- Interpositional arthroplasty with Gore-Tex, Marlex or tendon for osteoarthritis of the trapeziometacarpal joint: a retrospective comparative study.J Hand Surg Br. 1998; 23: 64-68
- Surgical management of basal joint arthritis of the thumb. Part I: long-term results of silicone implant arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 1986; 11: 309-324
- Poor outcomes from use of the Artelon® biodegradable implant for the treatment of thumb carpo-metacarpal joint and scapho-trapezio-trapezoid osteoarthritis: a short report and brief review of literature.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015; 40: 1009-1012
- Surgical management of primary thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic review.J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36: 157-169
- Tendon augmentation grafts: a systematic review.Br Med Bull. 2010; 94: 165-188
- Extracellular matrix scaffold devices for rotator cuff repair.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010; 19: 467-476
- Arthroscopic replacement of massive, irreparable rotator cuff tears using a GraftJacket allograft: technique and preliminary results.Arthroscopy. 2008; 24: 403-409.e401
- Histologic evaluation of a biopsy specimen obtained 3 months after rotator cuff augmentation with GraftJacket Matrix.Arthroscopy. 2009; 25: 329-333
- A prospective, randomized evaluation of acellular human dermal matrix augmentation for arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 8-15
- Arthroscopic GraftJacket repair of rotator cuff tears.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010; 19: 104-109
- A biomechanical study of Achilles tendon repair augmentation using GraftJacket matrix.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29: 329-333
- Trapezium resection with suspension and interposition arthroplasty using acellular dermal allograft for thumb carpometacarpal arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 1029-1036
- Arthroscopic interposition arthroplasty of the first carpometacarpal joint.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007; 32: 268-274
- Long-term outcome of arthroscopic resection arthroplasty with or without interposition for thumb basal joint arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2015; 40: 1844-1851
- Arthroscopic resection arthroplasty for treatment of combined carpometacarpal and scaphotrapeziotrapezoid (pantrapezial) arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36: 413-419
- Preserving the posttrapeziectomy space with a human acellular dermal matrix spacer: a pilot case series of patients with thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2013; 1: e65
- Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacarpal joint) osteoarthritis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2: CD004631
Wright Medical. GRAFTJACKET® regenerative tissue matrix. Available at: http://www.wright.com/physicians/graftjacket. Accessed January 18, 2017.
- Reliability and validity testing of the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire.J Hand Surg Am. 1998; 23: 575-587
- German standardized translation of the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire for patient-related outcome measurement in Dupuytren disease.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 128: 39e-40e
- Measurement properties of the German Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire in patients with trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014; 66: 245-252
- Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: the DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand) [corrected]. The Upper Extremity Collaborative Group (UECG).Am J Ind Med. 1996; 29: 602-608
- Validation of a German version of the disabilities of arm, shoulder, and hand questionnaire (DASH-G).J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 401-402
- Outcome measures and their measurement properties for trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic literature review.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2013; 38: 822-838
- Validity of self-report measures of pain and disability for persons who have undergone arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the hand.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: 524-530
- User’s Manual for the SF-12v2 Health Survey.2nd ed. QualityMetric, Inc, Lincoln, RI2010
- Psychometric evaluation of the 12-item short-form health survey (SF-12) in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials.Clin Ther. 2001; 23: 1080-1098
- Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 397-405
- [Clinical test of apposition and counter-apposition of the thumb].Ann Chir Main. 1986; 5: 67-73
- Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment.Hand Clin. 1987; 3: 455-471
- Comparison of clinical outcome with radiological findings after trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2016; 41: 335-339
- Determinants of patient satisfaction after surgery or corticosteroid injection for trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: results of a prospective cohort study.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 141-147
- The COSMIN checklist for evaluating the methodological quality of studies on measurement properties: a clarification of its content.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010; 10: 22
- Trapeziometacarpal arthrodesis or trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction in primary trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 726-733
- High incidence and treatment of flexor carpi radialis tendinitis after trapeziectomy and abductor pollicis longus suspensionplasty for basal joint arthritis.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014; 39: 838-844
- Use of the Swanson silicone trapezium implant for treatment of primary osteoarthritis: long-term results.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83: 999-1004
- A long-term follow-up of silicone-rubber interposition arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the thumb carpometacarpal joint.Hand Surg. 2005; 10: 77-82
- The ASA’s statement on p-values: context, process, and purpose.Am Stat. 2016; 70: 129-133
- Minimal important changes and differences in elective hand surgery.J Hand Surg Eur. 2015; 40: 900-912
Published online: September 09, 2017
Accepted: July 24, 2017
Received: January 18, 2017
This study was supported by an unspecific research grant from Surgical Device GmbH (Cham, Switzerland) and the GraftJacket was purchased at a reduced price.
© 2017 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. All rights reserved.