Trapeziectomy with Thompson suspensionplasty (TS) and prosthetic arthroplasty with pyolytic carbon hemiarthroplasty (PH) are two procedures which have been used to treat thumb trapezial-metacarpal (TM) joint arthritis. We hypothesized that patients treated with PH would have less radiographic thumb metacarpal subsidence and superior range of motion (ROM), pinch strength and subjective patient outcome scores compared to complete trapeziectomy and soft-tissue suspension with TH.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An evidence-based approach to treating thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 127: 918-925
- Surgical treatment of trapeziometacarpal arthrosis.Adv Orthop Surg. 1986; 10: 105-120
- Suspensionplasty technique.Atlas Hand Clin. 1997; 2: 101-126
- Suspensionplasty with the abductor pollicis longs tendon for osteoarthritis in the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 425-428
- Early outcomes of pyrolytic carbon hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of trapezial-metacarpal arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 205-212
- Outcome analysis of trapezectomy with and without pyrocarbon interposition to treat primary arthrosis of the trapeziometacarpal joint.Hand Surg. 2011; 16: 49-54
- Prospective 1-year follow-up study comparing joint prosthesis with tendon interposition arthroplasty in treatment of trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2008; 33: 1369-1377
- Kinematics of the trapeziometacarpal joint: a biomechanical analysis comparing tendon interposition arthroplasty and total-joint arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 1996; 21: 544-553
- First metacarpal subsidence during pinch after ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition basal joint arthroplasty of the thumb.J Hand Surg Am. 1998; 23: 879-883
Clinical Paper Session 05: The Thumb: Trauma, Arthritis, and Injury
Friday, September 19, 2014 • 11:39–11:46 AM
Category: Treatment, Surgical Technique
Keyword: Hand and Wrist
© 2014 Published by Elsevier Inc.