A 35-year-old right-handed man presents 12 months after a posterior elbow dislocation. He was initially immobilized in a cast for 2 weeks after which he did elbow exercises supervised by a physiotherapist. He has 50° to 90° of flexion, 70° of pronation, and 70° of supination. Radiographs show a located and concentric elbow joint with no heterotopic ossification. His ulnar nerve function is normal. He requests elbow capsulectomy to improve his elbow motion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Arthrolysis for post-traumatic stiffness of the elbow.Int Orthop. 1993; 17: 346-349
- Outcome of open release for post-traumatic elbow stiffness.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 673-678
- Elbow capsulectomy for posttraumatic elbow stiffness.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 1264-1271
- Results of open arthrolysis for elbow stiffness. A series of 22 cases.Acta Orthop Belg. 2011; 77: 453-457
- Surgical release for posttraumatic loss of elbow flexion.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 2692-2699
- Release of the medial collateral ligament to improve flexion in post-traumatic elbow stiffness.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 614-618
- Arthrolysis of the elbow 13 cases of posttraumatic stiffness.Acta Orthop. 1989; 60: 642-645
- Open elbow arthrolysis for posttraumatic elbow stiffness.J Orthop Trauma. 2006; 20: 405-409
- Open arthrolysis for post-traumatic stiffness of the elbow. Results are durable of the short term.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 778-781
- Outcomes of open arthrolysis of the elbow without post-operative passive stretching.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94: 348-352
- The lateral approach for operative release of post-traumatic contracture of the elbow.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990; 72: 1353-1358
- Treatment of the stiff elbow joint.Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 397-404
- Operative treatment of elbow stiffness: evaluation and outcome.Acta Orthop Belg. 2003; 69: 18-22
- Progressive surgical release of a posttraumatic stiff elbow: Technique and outcome after 2-18 years in 46 patients.Acta Orthop. 2002; 73: 144-150
- Arthrolysis in the relief of post-traumatic stiffness of the elbow.Int Orthop. 1992; 16: 188-190
- Surgical treatment of posttraumatic stiffness of the elbow: 2-year outcome in 21 patients after a column procedure.Acta Orthop. 2008; 79: 74-77
- The use of combined lateral and medial releases in the treatment of post-traumatic contracture of the elbow.Int Orthop. 2007; 31: 635-638
- The column procedure: a limited lateral approach for extrinsic contracture of the elbow.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 1603-1615
- Arthroscopic arthrolysis for posttraumatic elbow stiffness.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 434-439
- Anterior capsulotomy and continuous passive motion in the treatment of post-traumatic flexion contracture of the elbow: a prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74: 1229-1234
- Anterior release of the elbow for extension loss.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1955-1960
- Open elbow contracture release: postoperative management with and without continuous passive motion.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 858-865
- Surgical treatment of post-traumatic elbow stiffness: a systematic review.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013; 22: 574-580
- Health status after open elbow contracture release.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 2187-2195
Accepted: November 23, 2013
Received: October 23, 2013
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2014 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.