Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) most commonly affects the elbow at the capitellum, and typically involves the area covered by the radial head at around 45° elbow flexion. Although the exact mechanism of injury is unclear, OCD is thought to result from repetitive microtrauma to a poorly vascularized capitellar chondroepiphysis. Unlike Panner disease, which most commonly occurs atraumatically in young boys,
1OCD of the capitellum is seen in teenage boys and girls involved in sports that tend to generate high joint-reaction forces at the radiocapitellar joint (pitching, gymnastics, wrestling, etc).
- Kobayashi K.
- Burton K.J.
- Rodner C.
- Smith B.
- Caputo A.E.
Lateral compression injuries in the pediatric elbow: Panner's disease and osteochondritis dissecans of the capitellum.
J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004; 12: 246-254
- Schenck Jr., R.C.
- Goodnight J.M.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 439-456
- Yadao M.A.
- Field L.D.
- Savoie III, F.H.
Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow.
Instr Course Lect. 2004; 53: 599-606
4An anteroposterior, lateral, and 45° flexion oblique view will often demonstrate focal radiolucency of the capitellum (Fig. 1). Magnetic resonance imaging can be helpful in assessing the status of the articular cartilage (Fig. 2) and identifying signs of fragment instability and/or loose bodies.
- Bradley J.P.
- Petrie R.S.
Osteochondritis dissecans of the humeral capitellum: diagnosis and treatment.
Clin Sports Med. 2001; 20: 565-590
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lateral compression injuries in the pediatric elbow: Panner's disease and osteochondritis dissecans of the capitellum.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004; 12: 246-254
- Osteochondritis dissecans.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 439-456
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow.Instr Course Lect. 2004; 53: 599-606
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the humeral capitellum: diagnosis and treatment.Clin Sports Med. 2001; 20: 565-590
- Oblique osteochondral plugs transplantation technique for osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow joint.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009; 17: 204-208
- A new surgical technique to facilitate osteochondral autograft transfer in osteochondral defects of the capitellum: a case report.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2010; 44: 82-87
- Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty for osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow in teenage athletes.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 2359-2366
- Comparison of osteochondral autologous transplantation, microfracture, or debridement techniques in articular cartilage lesions associated with anterior cruciate ligament injury: a prospective study with a 3-year follow-up.Arthroscopy. 2013; 29: 89-97
- Ten-year follow-up of a prospective, randomized clinical study of mosaic osteochondral autologous transplantation versus microfracture for the treatment of osteochondral defects in the knee joint of athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2499-2508
- Cylindrical costal osteochondral autograft for reconstruction of large defects of the capitellum due to osteochondritis dissecans.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 992-1002
- The clinical outcomes of mosaicplasty in the treatment of osteochondritis dissecans of the distal humeral capitellum of young athletes.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 813-818
- Reconstruction with an osteochondral autograft for advanced osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005; : 140-147
- Osteochondral autograft transplantation for osteochondritis dissecans of the capitellum in nonthrowing athletes.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 1270e1-1270e4
- Osteochondral transplantation to treat osteochondral lesions in the elbow.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 2188-2194
- Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty for capitellar osteochondritis dissecans in teenaged patients.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 1233-1239
- Osteochondral autograft transplantation for osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow in juvenile baseball players: minimum 2-year follow-up.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 714-720
- Osteochondral transplantation in the elbow leads to good clinical and radiologic long-term results: an 8- to 14-year follow-up examination.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 2619-2625
- Mapping of cartilage depth in the knee and elbow for use in osteochondral autograft procedures.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 903-907
Published online: November 08, 2013
Accepted: September 2, 2013
Received: April 13, 2013
D.A.Z. is a consultant for, and receives royalties from, Arthrex, Inc.
© 2014 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.