Type of study/level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Opioid prescriptions soar: increase in legitimate use as well as abuse.JAMA. 2007; 297: 249-251
- A flood of opioids, a rising tide of deaths.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1981-1985
- Emergency department visits involving nonmedical use of selected prescription drugs—United States, 2004–2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59: 705-709
- Increasing deaths from opioid analgesics in the United States.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2006; 15: 618-627
- Painkillers fuel growth in drug addiction.www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2011/January/painkillers-fuel-growth-in-drug-addiction(Updated January 2011. Accessed October 20, 2011)
- Therapeutic opioids: a ten-year perspective on the complexities and complications of the escalating use, abuse, and nonmedical use of opioids.Pain Physician. 2008; 11: S63-S88
- Prescription opioids, overdose deaths, and physician responsibility.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2672-2673
- Opioid analgesics and rates of fatal drug poisoning in the United States.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 506-511
- Our bulging medicine cabinets—the other side of medication nonadherence.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1591-1593
- Overprescription of postoperative narcotics: a look at postoperative pain medication delivery, consumption and disposal in urological practice.J Urol. 2011; 185: 551-555
- Xanodyne agrees to withdraw propoxyphene from the U.S. market.Updated November 10, 2010. Accessed December 3, 2011)
- Opioid comparison.Updated June 15, 2006. Accessed December 3, 2011)
- APhA provides guidance on proper medication disposal use with respect and discard with care.http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=News_Releases2&template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=12267(Updated February 14, 2007. Accessed October 20, 2011)
- Disposal of unused medicines: what you should know.http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186187.htm(Updated March 2010. Accessed October 20, 2011)
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.