Outcomes are generally good after locked volar plating for the internal fixation of fractures of the distal radius.
1As such, the implants are removed infrequently, usually for cases of dorsal or volar tendon irritation or rupture, or because improper position of the distal pegs or screws is appreciated after surgery.
- Orbay J.L.
- Fernandez D.L.
Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient.
J Hand Surg. 2004; 29A: 96-102
2It is not known if there are potential side effects to having implanted titanium plates and screws over the long term. Although there are rare reports of sarcomas or osteosarcomas occurring in the region of total joint arthroplasties or dental implants that contain titanium,
- Rozental T.D.
- Blazar P.E.
Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radius.
J Hand Surg. 2006; 31A: 359-365
- Adams J.E.
- Jaffe K.A.
- Lemons J.E.
- Siegal G.P.
Prosthetic implant associated sarcomas: a case report emphasizing surface evaluation and spectroscopic trace metal analysis.
Ann Diagn Pathol. 2003; 7: 35-46
- McGuff H.S.
- Heim-Hall J.
- Holsinger F.C.
- Jones A.A.
- O'Dell D.S.
- Hafemeister A.C.
Maxillary osteosarcoma associated with a dental implant: report of a case and review of the literature regarding implant-related sarcomas.
J Am Dent Assoc. 2008; 139: 1052-1059
5animal studies suggest that titanium has a low risk of carcinogenicity.
- Sunderman Jr, F.W.
Carcinogenicity of metal alloys in orthopedic prostheses: clinical and experimental studies.
Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1989; 13: 205-216
- Lewis G.G.
- Belniak R.M.
- Plowman M.C.
- Hopfer S.M.
- Knight J.A.
- Sunderman Jr, F.W.
Intraarticular carcinogenesis bioassays of CoCrMo and TiAIV alloys in rats.
J Arthroplasty. 1995; 10: 75-82
7Currently, there are no published studies that report on the serum level of titanium after volar plating of distal radius fractures. Given the current wave of enthusiasm regarding the implantation of these plates, it remains unclear whether or not these implants should be left in place for a long period of time.
- Takamura K.
- Hayashi K.
- Ishinishi N.
- Yamada T.
- Sugioka Y.
Evaluation of carcinogenicity and chronic toxicity associated with orthopedic implants in mice.
J Biomed Mater Res. 1994; 28: 583-589
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient.J Hand Surg. 2004; 29A: 96-102
- Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radius.J Hand Surg. 2006; 31A: 359-365
- Prosthetic implant associated sarcomas: a case report emphasizing surface evaluation and spectroscopic trace metal analysis.Ann Diagn Pathol. 2003; 7: 35-46
- Maxillary osteosarcoma associated with a dental implant: report of a case and review of the literature regarding implant-related sarcomas.J Am Dent Assoc. 2008; 139: 1052-1059
- Carcinogenicity of metal alloys in orthopedic prostheses: clinical and experimental studies.Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1989; 13: 205-216
- Intraarticular carcinogenesis bioassays of CoCrMo and TiAIV alloys in rats.J Arthroplasty. 1995; 10: 75-82
- Evaluation of carcinogenicity and chronic toxicity associated with orthopedic implants in mice.J Biomed Mater Res. 1994; 28: 583-589
- Preparation, characterization, and animal testing for biocompatibility of metal particles of iron-, cobalt-, titanium-based implant alloys.in: St. John K.R. Particular debris from medical implants: mechanisms of formation and biological consequences ASTM STP 1144. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia1992: 177-188
- Corrosion of surgical implants - in vivo and in vitro tests.in: Winter G.D. Leray J.L. de Groot K. Evaluation of biomaterials. Vol. 1. John Wiley & Sons, New York1980: 1-34
- Microvasculatory reaction of skeletal muscle to Ti-15Mo in comparison to well-established titanium alloys.J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2007; 18: 2053-2060
- Wear debris from hip or knee replacements cause chromosomal damage in human cells in tissue culture.J Bone Joint Surg. 2004; 86B: 598-606
- Prosthetic metals impair murine immune response and cytokine release in vivo and in vitro.J Orthop Res. 1997; 15: 688-699
- Immune response correlate with serum-metal in metal-on-metal hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 88-93
- Surface preparation and corrosion behavior of titanium alloys for surgical implants.in: Luckey H.A. Kubli F. Titanium alloys in surgical implants ASTM STP 796. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia1983: 206-219
- In vitro electrochemical corrosion study of coupled surgical implant materials.J Biomed Mater Res. 1983; 17: 489-500
- Should the galvanic combination of titanium and stainless steel surgical implants be avoided?.Injury. 2008; 39: 161-169
- Couple corrosion among alloys for skeletal prostheses.J Biomed Mater Res. 1974; 8: 407-419
- Titanium and stainless steel and their combination in bone surgery.in: Winter G.D. Leray J.L. De Groot K. Evaluation of biomaterials. Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons, New York1980: 35-37
- Biologic response to passive dissolution of titanium craniofacial microplates.Biomaterials. 1999; 20: 675-682
- Should titanium miniplates be removed after bone healing is complete?.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1993; 22: 185-188
- 2008 John Charnley Award: metal ion levels after metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty: a randomized trial.Clin Orthop. 2009; 467: 101-111
- Outcome and serum ion determination up to 11 years after implantation of a cemented metal-on-metal hip prosthesis.Acta Orthop. 2009; 80: 168-173
- Serum metal levels and bearing surface in total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2006; 21: 47-52
- Serum ion levels after ceramic-on-ceramic and metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty: 8-year minimum follow-up.J Orthop Res. 2008; 26: 1569-1576
- Titanium serum and urine levels in rabbits with a titanium implant in the absence of wear.Biomaterials. 1996; 17: 1937-1942
- Levels of systemic metal ions in patients with intramedullary nails.Acta Orthop. 2008; 79: 820-825
- Serum titanium levels in individuals undergoing intramedullary femoral nailing with a titanium implant.J Trauma. 2008; 64: 430-433
- Metal concentration in the serum and hair of patients with titanium alloy spinal implants.Spine. 2003; 28: 1320-1326
- Titanium serum levels may remain elevated despite hip revision surgery for wear-through of an acetabular component.Biomed Tech (Berl). 2006; 51: 27-29
Accepted: October 25, 2009
Received: October 25, 2009
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2010 Published by Elsevier Inc.