- •List the most common pathogenic organisms in the hand.
- •Describe the risk factors of MRSA infections.
- •State the Center for Disease control recommendations regarding empiric coverage for MRSA.
- •List the antibiotics effective in treating MRSA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
- Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections of the hand: prevalence and timeliness of treatment.J Hand Surg. 2009; 34A: 504-508
- Increased prevalence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in hand infections at an urban medical center.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 118: 161-166
- Timeliness of appropriate antibiotics in hand infections.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007; 461: 17-19
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus hand infections in an urban setting.J Hand Surg. 2007; 32A: 380-383
- The incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in community-acquired hand infections.Ann Plast Surg. 2009; 62: 513-516
- Increasing incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in hand infections: a 3-year county hospital experience.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119: 935-940
Miles MG, Burger TL, Murphy RX Jr. Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the suburban hand surgery patient population. Paper presented at American Association of Hand Surgery, January 7–10, 2009, Maui, HI.
- Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a meta-analysis of prevalence and risk factors.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: 131-139
- Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in children with no predisposing risk.JAMA. 1998; 279: 593-598
- Four pediatric deaths from community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus–Minnesota and North Dakota, 1997–1999.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1123-1125
- Epidemiology of bacterial hand infections.Int J Infect Dis. 2006; 10: 315-319
- Factors related to the resolution of treated hand infections.J Hand Surg. 1982; 7: 388-394
- Hand infections.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 723-726
- Hand infections.Arch Surg. 1988; 123: 745-750
- Hand infections: an audit of 160 infections treated in an accident and emergency department.J Hand Surg. 1993; 18B: 115-118
- Established hand infections: a controlled prospective study.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 553-559
- Hand infections in patients with diabetes.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996; 331: 238-244
- Upper limb morbidity as a direct consequence of intravenous drug abuse.Hand Surg. 2008; 13: 73-78
- Hand infections: basic principles and management.Surg Infect. 2004; 5: 210-220
- Eikenelia corrodens in hand infections.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8 (563–557)
- Infectious arthritis.in: Goldman L. Bennett J.C. Cecil textbook of medicine. 21st ed. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia2000: 1507-1509
- Common acute hand infections.Am Fam Physician. 2003; 68: 2167-2176
- Clinical practice.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 380-390
- Community acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus hand infections: case reports and clinical implications.J Hand Surg. 2000; 25A: 760-763
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a finger felon.J Hand Surg Am. 2000; 25A: 173-175
- Clenched fist injury complicated by MRSA.Can J Surg. 1997; 40: 313-314
- Hand infection and bacteremia due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus following a clenched-fist injury in a nursing home resident.Clin Infect Dis. 1994; 18: 469
- Why is community-associated MRSA spreading across the world and how will it change clinical practice?.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009; 34: S15-S19
- Strategies for clinical management of MRSA in the community: summary of an experts' meeting convened by the CDC.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2006
- Successful multiresistant community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus lineage from Taipei, Taiwan, that carries either the novel staphylococcal chromosome cassette mec (SCCmec) type VT or SCCmec type IV.J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43: 4719-4730
- Use of long-acting tetracyclines for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: case series and review of the literature.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 1429-1434
- Emergence of vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 493-501
- Management and outcome of children with skin and soft tissue abscesses caused by community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004; 23: 123-127
- Treatment of cutaneous abscess: a double-blind clinical study.Ann Emerg Med. 1985; 14: 15-19
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Journal CME QuestionsJournal of Hand SurgeryVol. 35Issue 1