To report the diagnosis and results of 12 surgically treated cases of isolated radial collateral ligament (RCL) tears of the index finger (IF) metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joint.
Between 1996 and 2002, there were 12 patients who were diagnosed with a tear of the index RCL based on clinical evaluation, had surgical treatment, and were followed up for a minimum of 23 months. All 12 patients sustained complete, full-thickness tears. Three patients chose immediate surgical treatment, and 9 patients failed an initial trial of conservative treatment. Surgical repair was performed because of pain, swelling, tenderness, and instability, and a suture anchor was used in all repairs. Intraoperative findings correlated with preoperative magnetic resonance imaging regarding to the site of the tear and the presence of associated injuries. Range of motion, grip strength, and lateral pinch strength were recorded. Patients were questioned regarding satisfaction with their treatment and with their ability to return to work and/or sporting activities.
The RCL was avulsed more commonly from the metacarpal (7 patients) than from the proximal phalanx (5 patients). There were no midsubstance tears. All patients reported resolution of pain, ability to return to activities of daily living or sporting activities, and satisfaction with treatment. The mean IF MCP joint arc of motion was 80°, with a mean extension and flexion of 0° and 80°, respectively. There was no extensor lag and no laxity to stress in any of the repaired ligaments. The mean grip strength expressed as a percentage of the injured/noninjured side was 111%. The mean lateral pinch expressed as a percentage of the injured/noninjured side was 112%.
On the basis of this study, IF RCL ruptures can be treated successfully with surgical repair.
Type of study/level of evidence
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rupture of the radial collateral ligament of the metacarpo-phalangeal joint of the index finger: a report of three cases.J Hand Surg. 1989; 14B: 248-250
- Rupture of the radial collateral ligament of a metacarpophalangeal joint to one of the ulnar three fingers.J Hand Surg. 1979; 4: 346-350
- Disloclations in the digits.in: Green Operative Hand Surgery. Vol. 1. Churchill Livingston, New York1993: 767-798
- MR imaging of the metacarpophalangeal joints.Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 1995; 3: 313-324
- Ligamentous structures of the metacarpophalangeal joint: a quantitative anatomic study.J Orthop Res. 1984; 1: 361-368
- Injury to collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of a finger.J Hand Surg. 1988; 13A: 456-460
- Ligament stability of the metacarpophalangeal joint: a biomechanical study.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10A: 255-260
- Detecting occult fractures of the metacarpal head: the Brewerton view.J Hand Surg. 1997; 2: 131-133
- Operation for collateral ligament ruptures of the metacarpophalangeal joints of the fingers.J Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71B: 388-389
- Dislocations and ligamentous injuries of the hand.in: Evarts C.M. Surgery of the musculoskeletal system. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingston, New York1990: 385-448
- Metacarpophalangeal dislocations.Hand Clin. 1988; 4: 39-44
- Small joint injuries requiring surgical treatment.Orthop Clin North Am. 1986; 17: 407-419
- Ligamentous injuries of the hand in athletes.Clin Sports Med. 1986; 5: 757-771
- Surgical repair of acute collateral ligament injuries in digits with the Mitek bone suture anchor.J Hand Surg. 1999; 24B: 70-75
- Suture anchor repair of chronic radial ligament injuries of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.J Hand Surg. 1998; 23B: 271-274
- Repair of acute ulnar collateral ligament injuries of the thumb metacarpophalangeal joint with an intraosseous suture anchor.J Hand Surg. 1997; 22A: 585-591
Accepted: December 13, 2006
Received: December 13, 2006
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2007 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.