We report an anomalous dorsally positioned median nerve within the carpal tunnel in a 25-year-old spastic hemiplegic man associated with chronic wrist pain.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bilateral palmaris profundus in association with bifid median nerve as a cause of failed carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg. 2006; 31A: 741-743
- Median nerve penetration by an anomalous tendon.J Neurosurg. 2000; 92: 500
- Anomalous median nerve associated with persistent median artery.J Anat. 1994; 185: 447-451
- Carpal tunnel syndrome due to thrombosed persisting median artery.Hand. 1978; 10: 65-68
- Aberrant nerve in limited open carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg. 2006; 31A: 1407-1408
- Anatomical variations of the median nerve at the wrist.Orthop Rev. 1992; 21: 955-959
- Anatomical variations of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1977; 2: 44-53
- A prospective study of the anatomic variations of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel in Asians.Ann Plast Surg. 2000; 44: 282-287
- Variations of the median nerve in the carpal canal.J Hand Surg. 1987; 12A: 708-712
- Anatomical variations of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel.Int Orthop. 1995; 19: 30-34
- The anatomy of the recurrent branch of the median nerve.J Hand Surg. 1998; 23A: 852-858
- A variant of the motor branch of the median nerve in the hand.J Bone Joint Surg. 1968; 50B: 156-157
- Prevalence of anatomic variations encountered in elective carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg. 2003; 28A: 849-855
- Median innervated hypothenar muscle: anomalous branch of median nerve in the carpal tunnel.J Hand Surg. 1990; 15A: 356-359
- Anatomic variant of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; 352: 128-130
- The carpal tunnel syndrome: seventeen years’ experience in diagnosis and treatment of 654 hands.J Bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 211-228
- A new diagnostic test for carpal tunnel syndrome.J Bone Joint Surg. 1991; 73A: 535-538
- Le signed du fourmillement dans les lesions des nerfs peripheriques.Presse Med. 1915; 23: 388
- Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia1999: 1404-1447 Entrapment and compression neuropathies In Green’s operative hand surgery. 4th ed.
- Upper extremity peripheral anatomy.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2001; 383: 7-20
- Practical anatomy of the carpal tunnel.Hand Clin. 2002; 18: 219-230
- An anomalous median nerve avoiding injury in a gunshot wound to the antecubital fossa.J R Army Corps. 2002; 148: 48-49
- Anomalous course of the median nerve medial to the trochlea and anterior to the medial epicondyle of the humerus.Ann Anat. 1992; 174: 309-311
- Variations in digital sensory patterns: a study of the ulnar nerve-median nerve palmar communicating branch.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8A: 411-414
- Internal anatomy of the communicating branch between the ulnar and median nerves in the hand and its relevance to volar digital sensibility.J Hand Surg. 2002; 27A: 143-146
- Anatomic relations between the median nerve and flexor tendons in the carpal tunnel: MR evaluation in normal volunteers.Am J Roentgenol. 1989; 153: 533-536
- Carpal tunnel changes and median nerve compression during wrist flexion and extension seen by magnetic resonance imaging.J Hand Surg. 1990; 15A: 934-939
- Peripheral nerve injuries in the adult with traumatic brain injury.Clin Orthop. 1988; 233: 136-144
- Carpal tunnel syndrome secondary to wrist and finger flexor spasticity.J Hand Surg. 1990; 15A: 940-944
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: contribution of flexor tendons.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1977; 58: 379-385
- Displacement and strain of the median nerve at the wrist.J Hand Surg. 1997; 22A: 621-627
- Carpal tunnel decompression in spite of normal electromyography.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8A: 348-349
Accepted: March 19, 2007
Received: August 26, 2006
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2007 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.