We report a case of a Colles’ fracture on the arteriovenous fistula forearm of a maintenance hemodialysis patient treated with percutaneous pinning with the aid of Chinese finger trap reduction combined with cavity creation using a pediatric uromatic balloon with calcium phosphate cement augmentation. Five months after surgery, the arteriovenous fistula was patent, and the range of motion, grip strength, and radiographic findings were comparable with a non-arteriovenous fistula forearm. Wrist x-rays showed a complete union of the distal radius with progressive absorption of the calcium phosphate cement.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Closed reduction of colles fractures: comparison of manual manipulation and finger-trap traction: a prospective, randomized study.J Bone Joint Surg. 2002; 84A: 354-358
- Results of distal radial fractures treated by intra-focal pin fixation.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2001; 30: 573-576
- The unstable distal radial fracture one year post Kapandji intrafocal pinning.Injury. 1999; 30: 251-555
- Early corrective osteotomy for a malunited Colles’ fracture using volar approach and calcium phosphate bone cement: a case report.J Hand Surg. 2004; 29A: 1139-1142
- Palmar plating with calcium phosphate bone cement for unstable Colles’ fractures.Clin Orthop. 2003; : 285-290
- Calcium phosphate bone cement for treatment of distal radius fractures: a preliminary report.J Orthop Sci. 2002; 7: 182-187
- Injectable calcium phosphate in the treatment of distal radial fractures.J Hand Surg. 1996; 21B: 768-771
Clancey GJ. Percutaneous Kirschner-wire fixation of Colles fractures. A prospective study of thirty cases. J Bone Joint Surg 1984A:1008–1014.
- The snuffbox arteriovenous fistula for vascular access.J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2000; 19: 70-76
- K-wire fixation for redislocated Colles’ fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1997; 68: 259-261
- External fixation versus percutaneous pinning for unstable Colles’ fracture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1997; 68: 255-258
- Percutaneous Kirschner wire stabilisation following closed reduction of Colles’ fractures.J Hand Surg. 1992; 17B: 55-62
- An ex vivo biomechanical evaluation of an inflatable bone tamp used in the treatment of compression fracture.Spine. 2001; 26: 151-156
- New technologies in spine: kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic compression fractures.Spine. 2001; 26: 1511-1515
- Initial outcome and efficacy of “kyphoplasty” in the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures.Spine. 2001; 26: 1631-1638
- Mechanical strength of calcium phosphate cement in vivo and in vitro.Biomaterials. 1998; 19: 1587-1591
- Experimental cranioplasty and skeletal augmentation using an alpha-tricalcium phosphate/dicalcium phosphate dibasic/tetracalcium phosphate monoxide cement: a preliminary short-term experiment in rabbits.Biomaterials. 1998; 19: 701-706
- In vivo study of calcium phosphate cements: implantation of an alpha-tricalcium phosphate/dicalcium phosphate dibasic/tetracalcium phosphate monoxide cement paste.Biomaterials. 1997; 18: 539-543
- In vivo study of a calcium phosphate cement consisting of alpha-tricalcium phosphate/dicalcium phosphate dibasic/tetracalcium phosphate monoxide.Biomaterials. 1997; 18: 147-151
- Norian SRS cement compared with conventional fixation in distal radial fractures.J Bone Joint Surg. 2003; 85A: 2127-2137
- Minimal internal fixation and calcium-phosphate cement in the treatment of fractures of the tibial plateau.J Bone Joint Surg. 2003; 85B: 68-73
- Repair of five distal radius fractures with an investigational cancellous bone cement: a preliminary report.J Orthop Trauma. 1997; 11: 110-116
Accepted: March 16, 2007
Received: January 10, 2007
No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
© 2007 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.