Three cases of rupture of a flexor tendon graft many years after surgery are presented. Two cases occurred 12 years after reconstruction and the third case occurred 21 years after reconstruction. Each rupture was intratendinous, just proximal to the flexor tendon sheath in 2 cases and at the proximal edge of the transverse carpal ligament in the third case. Active digital flexion was restored by transfer of the flexor digitorum superficialis from an adjacent finger to the distal tendon stump or by direct end-to-end repair of the rupture site reinforced with an onlay autogenous patch graft. Patients undergoing tendon grafting should be alerted to the possibility of rupture, even many years later. (J Hand Surg 2000;25A:1135-1139. Copyright © 2000 by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rate and extent of functional recovery after flexor tendon grafting with and without silicone rod preparation.J Hand Surg. 1976; 1: 174-180
- Evaluation of the two-stage flexor-tendon reconstruction in severely damaged digits.J Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 786-791
- A review of 100 flexor tendon reconstructions with prosthesis.Hand. 1977; 9: 226-230
- An evaluation of the two-stage flexor tendon reconstruction technique.J Hand Surg. 1983; 8: 263-267
- Two-stage flexor-tendon reconstruction.J Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68A: 752-763
- Staged flexor tendon reconstruction in the fingers and hand.J Hand Surg. 1988; 13A: 559-562
- Staged flexor tendon reconstruction using the method of Hunter.Clin Orthop. 1982; 171: 164-171
- Flexor tendon reconstruction in severely damaged hands.J Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 829-858
- Closed rupture of flexor profundus tendon in the palm.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10B: 193-194
- Intratendinous rupture of the flexor digitorum profundus tendon of the small finger.J Hand Surg. 1987; 12A: 985-991
- Rupture of the flexor profundus digitorum profundus tendon in the palm caused by repeated, chronic direct trauma.J Hand Surg. 1993; 18A: 65-67
- Intratendinous rupture of the flexor digitorum profundus tendon in zones II and III.J Hand Surg. 1995; 20A: 478-483
- Complications in tendon injury and surgery.Hand Clin. 1986; 2: 361-371
- Magnetic resonance imaging scanning in the diagnosis of zone II flexor tendon rupture.J Hand Surg. 1996; 21A: 451-455
Accepted: June 20, 2000
Received: February 8, 1999
*No benefits in any form have been received or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
**Reprint requests: Martin A. Posner, MD, 2 E 88 St, New York, NY 10128.
© 2000 American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.